Conversion of work to heat: Getting the Sun's temperature inside a braking block

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the mass of train brakes needed to prevent the brake block temperature from reaching melting point when applied, and the number of photons emitted per second by a light bulb. The estimated values provided are deemed to be incorrect and a request is made for a better method of estimation. There is also a mention of the Boltzmann constant and a clarification on the type of light bulb being discussed.
hasan_researc

Homework Statement

Estimate

(i) the mass of the brakes of a train needed to stop the brake block temperature reaching melting point when the brakes are applied

(ii) the number of photons emitted per second by a light bulb

An order of magnitude estimate is sufficient.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For i),

I assumed that all of the kinetic energy of the train is converted to thermal kinetic energy of the material.

The thermal energy is on the order of kT.

I assumed that the speed of the train is 30 m/s and that the mass of the train is 2000 kg.

So, kT = 0.5mv2
This gives T = 3.2*1030 K.

This is clearly absurd!

For ii),

power of a typical light bulb = I2R = (50 mA)2(1.5 ohms) = 380 mW.

And energy of one light photon = hc/lamba = 2.9*10-17 J.
(assuming lamba = 700 nm).

So, number of photons = power of light bulb / energy of one photon = 1.3*1012 s-1,

which is a sensible number.

I'd be grateful to you to anyone who suggests a much better way.

Physics news on Phys.org
hasan_researc said:
The thermal energy is on the order of kT.

You mean kinetic energy? "kT" is something I don't recognize.

I assumed that the speed of the train is 30 m/s and that the mass of the train is 2000 kg.

So, kT = 0.5mv2

OK, you do mean kinetic energy.
This gives T = 3.2*1030 K.

No, this gives K=3.230 joules. This will be the "heat" (Q) that enters the block. Energy is not temperature.

Now you have to find out what mass is necessary to prevent that amount of energy from rising in temperature above the melting point of the metal (what delta T would that be?)

[/QUOTE]

@Chi Meson: k in kT probably is Boltzmann constant.
@hasan_researc:
1/ I think kT only represents the order of magnitude of micro-kinetic energy of particles. I don't really understand the question. Could you write it in an easier-to-understand way?
2/ I'm not sure what kind of light bulb you were mentioning but for a typical incandescent light bulb, it's about 50-100W, and a typical fluorescent light bulb is about 10-40W. You should check your figures.
Another thing to note is that light bulb doesn't convert all electrical energy into radiation. You know, the typical temperature of the filament is around 3000K, so I suppose the temperature of the glass bulb is quite large. That means, there is also heat convection, though rough estimation shows that it's not a big factor.

1. How is work converted into heat?

Work is converted into heat through friction. When an object, such as a braking block, is moving and comes into contact with another object, the kinetic energy of the moving object is converted into heat energy through the process of friction. This is known as the conversion of work to heat.

2. Can the Sun's temperature be replicated inside a braking block?

No, it is not possible to replicate the Sun's temperature inside a braking block. The Sun's temperature is extremely high, reaching millions of degrees Celsius, while a braking block can only reach a maximum temperature of a few hundred degrees Celsius.

3. How does the temperature inside a braking block affect its performance?

The temperature inside a braking block can greatly affect its performance. As the temperature increases, the braking block can become less effective due to the decrease in friction between the block and the braking surface. This can result in longer stopping distances and reduced braking power.

4. Is it necessary to match the Sun's temperature for effective braking?

No, it is not necessary to match the Sun's temperature for effective braking. The temperature inside a braking block needs to be high enough to create sufficient friction for the block to slow down or stop, but it does not need to reach the extreme temperatures of the Sun.

5. How does the conversion of work to heat in a braking block affect the environment?

The conversion of work to heat in a braking block can have negative effects on the environment. The heat generated during braking can contribute to air pollution and can also damage the braking surfaces over time, leading to increased maintenance and replacement costs. Therefore, there is ongoing research to develop more efficient and environmentally friendly braking systems.