Heat Transfer: Conversation of Energy problem.

In summary: The equation is working the way you're thinking it should, but there is a subtle difference. When an object is cooling, the heat will be lost to the surroundings. When an object is heating up, the heat will be added to the surroundings. In this problem, the copper block is cooling and the plastic block is heating up, so the delta t on the left is negative (a loss of temperature).
Water
A 2 kg copper block, initially at 100°C, is brought in contact with a 2 kg plastic block, initially at 20°C. They are kept in contact long enough to reach the same equilibrium temperature. The specific heat of plastic is four times as much as the specific heat of copper.

Which block will go through a larger temperature change? Why?

Since this is a problem early in the first few chapters of a Heat Transfer class, I assume that the two blocks can be treated as a closed system and no heat is lost to the surroundings.

Here is my working, which arrived at an answer that seems illogical.Energy lost by copper = Energy gained by plastic

Since there is negligible change of other energies such as kinetic, potential, etc, assume that,

Thermal energy lost by copper = Thermal energy gained by plastic

[tex]mc \Delta T_{copper} = mc \Delta T_{plastic}[/tex]

Since the masses of both blocks are equal,

[tex](c \Delta T)_{copper} = (c \Delta T)_{plastic}[/tex]

And since the specific heat of the plastic is four times that of the copper,

[tex]c_{copper} \Delta T_{copper} = 4c_{copper} \Delta T_{plastic}[/tex]

[tex]c_{copper}(T_{final} - 373) = 4c_{copper}(T_{final} - 293)[/tex] (temperatures in Kelvin)

[tex]T_{final} - 373 = 4T_{final} - 1172[/tex]

[tex]T_{final} = 266[/tex]

Therefore, [tex] \Delta T_{copper} = 266 - 373 = -107 K[/tex]

and [tex] \Delta T_{plastic} = 266 - 293 = -27 K[/tex]Since the cooler plastic block must gain heat from the warmer copper block, it is impossible that the temperature change for the plastic block could be negative. What's wrong with my calculations?

Edit: Latex seems to format properly now, thanks Pseudo.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean \delta t. ;)
Let me go back and see if I get what you did.
The copper block is at 100C, and the plastic is at 20C... THUS, keeping that in mind, you're supposed to formulate your equation as follows:
mc1 (Ti - Tf) = mc2 (Tf - Ti)
WHY? Well, because obviously the copper block's going to cool down... but the plastic's going to heat up. You can't have one of them being positive and the other being negative and make them equal-- you have to adjust your heat to reflect that.
In any case, you have...
c2 = 4c1, Ti (for the left) = 100, Tf (for the right) = 20C, m = m so you get:
mc1 (100 - Tf) = 4mc1(Tf - 20)
Solve for Tf and compare the temperature differences. :)

Oh, so it's backslash, thanks. :)

I'm still not clear on why the delta t on the left is (Ti - Tf) and the delta t on the right is (Tf - Ti). Isn't delta t, the change in temperature, always the final temperature minus the initial temperature, regardless of whether the object in question is heating or cooling?

I thought it worked like this: If an object were cooling, Tf - Ti would be negative, indicating a loss of temperature. If it were heating up, Tf - Ti would be positive, indicating a temperature increase. Could you please explain?

Last edited:

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important to understand?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. It is important to understand because it is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics and is involved in many everyday processes, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and energy production.

2. What is the law of conservation of energy and how does it relate to heat transfer?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This applies to heat transfer because the amount of thermal energy transferred from one object to another must always equal the amount of thermal energy gained by the other object.

3. What are the three types of heat transfer and how do they differ?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How can the rate of heat transfer be increased or decreased?

The rate of heat transfer can be increased by increasing the temperature difference between the two objects, increasing the surface area of contact, or decreasing the distance between the objects. It can be decreased by using insulating materials or decreasing the temperature difference.

5. How is heat transfer used in real-world applications?

Heat transfer is used in many real-world applications, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, power generation, and refrigeration. It is also important in industries like chemical processing, materials manufacturing, and aerospace engineering. Understanding heat transfer is crucial for designing efficient and effective systems and processes.