1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convert Cartesian To Cylindrical Limits

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi

I am converting from Cartesian co-ordinates to cylindrical co-ordinates systems and can do the conversion fine, but am unsure about how to convert the limits.

Q)

Region V is given in Cartesian by: [tex]F(x,y,z) = xi+yj+z(x^{2}+y^{2})k[/tex]

Where [tex]x^{2}+y^{2} \leq 1[/tex]
    and [tex]0 \leq z \leq 2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] x = \rho cos(\varphi), y = \rho sin(\varphi), z = z[/tex]
    [tex] cos^{2}(x)+sin^{2}(x) = 1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] F(\rho,\varphi,z) = \rho cos(\varphi)\widehat{\rho} + \rho sin(\varphi)\widehat{\varphi} + z\rho^{2}\widehat{z}[/tex]

I know that z has stayed the same as it has not changed, but im not sure how to do the [tex]\rho[/tex] and [tex]\varphi[/tex].

If you could help me on how to do this id really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks as though you've magically replaced [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mathbf{y}}[/itex] with [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}[/itex] and [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex]....are you really allowed to do that?:wink:

What are [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mathbf{y}}[/itex] in terms of [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}[/itex] and [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex]?

Well, your other boundary is [itex]x^2+y^2\leq 1[/itex]....so, what is [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex] is cylindrical coordinates?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Sorry, Im unsure what you mean here?

Ok, I think I see what you mean here... Would it be:

[tex]\rho \leq 1[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2}+y^{2} \leq 1[/tex]
    [tex] = \rho cos^{2}(\varphi) + \rho sin^{2}(\varphi)[/tex]

If this is correct, Im still unsure how to get [tex]\varphi[/tex]?

Thanks for the speedy response!

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you substitute [itex]x=\rho\cos\varphi[/itex] and [itex]y=\rho\sin\varphi[/itex] into [itex]\textbf{F}=x\hat{\mathbf{x}}+y\hat{\mathbf{y}}+z(x^2+y^2)\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex], you get [itex]\textbf{F}=\rho\cos\varphi\hat{\mathbf{x}}+\rho\sin\varphi\hat{\mathbf{y}}+z\rho^2\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex], not [itex]\textbf{F}=\rho\cos\varphi\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}+\rho\sin\varphi\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}+z\rho^2\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex]

[tex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}\neq\hat{\mathbf{\rho}} \;\;\;\;\;\;\text{and}\;\;\;\;\;\;\; \hat{\mathbf{y}}\neq\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex]

In your text, you should have derived expressions of the form [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}=f(\rho,\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}+g(\rho\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mathbf{y}}=F(\rho,\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}+G(\rho\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex] ...use those

Well, you know that [itex]0\leq\rho\leq 1[/itex], so these are your integration limits for [itex]\rho[/itex]. As for [itex]\varphi[/itex], there are no further restrictions on its value, so you just go with the conventional [itex]0\leq\varphi\leq 2\pi[/itex].

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5

I have searched my notes, and my text books, but do not have anything which seems to cover this. Is there a particular name for this operation that I may be able to search up and check out some examples?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. Apr 30, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a hard time believing that your course textbook doesn't cover unit vector conversions. What text are you using for this course?

Anyways, see here

8. Apr 30, 2010 #7
    Thats amazing, thanks. I hope I have now got it correct.

So...
    [tex]F(\rho,\varphi,z) = \rho cos(\varphi)\widehat{i} + \rho sin(\varphi)\widehat{j} + z\rho^{2}\widehat{z}[/tex]

and

[tex]\widehat{\rho} = \widehat{i} cos(\varphi) + \widehat{j} sin(\varphi)[/tex]

Subbing that in Im just left with:
    [tex]F(\rho,\varphi,z) = \rho \widehat{\rho} + z\rho^{2}\widehat{z}[/tex]

Is that looking to be correct?

Thanks for all your help, you have been very good to me.

BTW, I am using KA Stroud, Advanced Engineering Maths, but cannot find it in there still.

9. Apr 30, 2010 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me!:approve:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook