Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Convert Cartesian To Cylindrical Limits

1. Apr 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi

I am converting from Cartesian co-ordinates to cylindrical co-ordinates systems and can do the conversion fine, but am unsure about how to convert the limits.

Q)

Region V is given in Cartesian by: [tex]F(x,y,z) = xi+yj+z(x^{2}+y^{2})k[/tex]

Where [tex]x^{2}+y^{2} \leq 1[/tex]
    and [tex]0 \leq z \leq 2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] x = \rho cos(\varphi), y = \rho sin(\varphi), z = z[/tex]
    [tex] cos^{2}(x)+sin^{2}(x) = 1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] F(\rho,\varphi,z) = \rho cos(\varphi)\widehat{\rho} + \rho sin(\varphi)\widehat{\varphi} + z\rho^{2}\widehat{z}[/tex]

I know that z has stayed the same as it has not changed, but im not sure how to do the [tex]\rho[/tex] and [tex]\varphi[/tex].

If you could help me on how to do this id really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks as though you've magically replaced [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mathbf{y}}[/itex] with [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}[/itex] and [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex]....are you really allowed to do that?:wink:

What are [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mathbf{y}}[/itex] in terms of [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}[/itex] and [tex]\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex]?

Well, your other boundary is [itex]x^2+y^2\leq 1[/itex]....so, what is [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex] is cylindrical coordinates?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. Apr 29, 2010 #3
    Sorry, Im unsure what you mean here?

Ok, I think I see what you mean here... Would it be:

[tex]\rho \leq 1[/tex]
    [tex]x^{2}+y^{2} \leq 1[/tex]
    [tex] = \rho cos^{2}(\varphi) + \rho sin^{2}(\varphi)[/tex]

If this is correct, Im still unsure how to get [tex]\varphi[/tex]?

Thanks for the speedy response!

5. Apr 29, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you substitute [itex]x=\rho\cos\varphi[/itex] and [itex]y=\rho\sin\varphi[/itex] into [itex]\textbf{F}=x\hat{\mathbf{x}}+y\hat{\mathbf{y}}+z(x^2+y^2)\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex], you get [itex]\textbf{F}=\rho\cos\varphi\hat{\mathbf{x}}+\rho\sin\varphi\hat{\mathbf{y}}+z\rho^2\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex], not [itex]\textbf{F}=\rho\cos\varphi\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}+\rho\sin\varphi\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}+z\rho^2\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex]

[tex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}\neq\hat{\mathbf{\rho}} \;\;\;\;\;\;\text{and}\;\;\;\;\;\;\; \hat{\mathbf{y}}\neq\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex]

In your text, you should have derived expressions of the form [itex]\hat{\mathbf{x}}=f(\rho,\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}+g(\rho\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\mathbf{y}}=F(\rho,\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\rho}}+G(\rho\theta)\hat{\mathbf{\varphi}}[/itex] ...use those

Well, you know that [itex]0\leq\rho\leq 1[/itex], so these are your integration limits for [itex]\rho[/itex]. As for [itex]\varphi[/itex], there are no further restrictions on its value, so you just go with the conventional [itex]0\leq\varphi\leq 2\pi[/itex].

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5

I have searched my notes, and my text books, but do not have anything which seems to cover this. Is there a particular name for this operation that I may be able to search up and check out some examples?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  7. Apr 30, 2010 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have a hard time believing that your course textbook doesn't cover unit vector conversions. What text are you using for this course?

Anyways, see here

8. Apr 30, 2010 #7
    Thats amazing, thanks. I hope I have now got it correct.

So...
    [tex]F(\rho,\varphi,z) = \rho cos(\varphi)\widehat{i} + \rho sin(\varphi)\widehat{j} + z\rho^{2}\widehat{z}[/tex]

and

[tex]\widehat{\rho} = \widehat{i} cos(\varphi) + \widehat{j} sin(\varphi)[/tex]

Subbing that in Im just left with:
    [tex]F(\rho,\varphi,z) = \rho \widehat{\rho} + z\rho^{2}\widehat{z}[/tex]

Is that looking to be correct?

Thanks for all your help, you have been very good to me.

BTW, I am using KA Stroud, Advanced Engineering Maths, but cannot find it in there still.

9. Apr 30, 2010 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me!:approve:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook