1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another triple integral problem

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate
    [tex]
    \int_D \frac{dxdydz}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-A)^2}}, \: A>R
    [/tex]
    on ## D = {(x,y,z)\: s.t. x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq R^2}##.

2. Relevant equations
    In spherical coordinates:
    [tex]
    x=\rho cos\theta sin\phi\\y=\rho sin\theta sin\phi\\ z=cos\phi\\dxdydz=\rho^2sin\phi d\theta d\rho d\phi
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the integrand is ##\frac{1}{\rho}## of a sphere centered in ##(0,0,A)##, I think the most logical change of coordinates is:
    [tex]
    x=\rho cos\theta sin\phi\\y=\rho sin\theta sin\phi\\ z=\rho cos\phi + A
    [/tex]
    I am centered at a point ##(0,0,A)##, so nothing changed with respect to the xy-plane, therefore ##0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi##; that much is obvious. And, since A>R, the boundaries for ##\rho## are ##A-R \leq \rho \leq A+R##. I found those geometrically.
    Changing the variables to##\rho, \theta, \phi## in D we get:
    ##\rho^2 + 2\rho Acos\phi + A^2 \leq R^2##
    And at this point I have no idea. Solving for ##\phi## would give me an upper limit, but it would be a an arccos of the form ##arccos(\frac{a}{\rho} - b\rho)## which I'd have to integrate in ##\rho## afterwards. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have got the impression that the cylindrical coordinate is more helpful instead. In this case, the integral will be
    $$
    \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-R}^R \int_0^{r(z)} \frac{rdrd\phi dz}{\sqrt{r^2+(z-A)^2}}
    $$
    Performing the integral over ##r## first should be easy.

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    I was able to solve it, thank you for the hint blue leaf! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted