1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert vector-field from cylindrical to cartesian

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a vector field (which happens to be a magnetic field)
    H = -[itex]\frac{I }{2 \pi r}[/itex]u[itex]\varphi[/itex]
    u[itex]\varphi[/itex] is the unit vector

which is in the cylindrical coordinate system with only the [itex]\varphi[/itex] component nonzero so it circles around the z-axis. r is the radius of the circle.
    the question is: write H in the cartesian coordinate system.

2. Relevant equations
    i already know the answer through common sense but I'm not able to derive it myself:
    H = [itex]\frac{-I}{2 \pi \sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex][[itex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]]

3. The attempt at a solution
    now I know these relations:
    x = r Cos[[itex]\varphi[/itex]]
    y = r Sin[[itex]\varphi[/itex]]
    r = [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]
    but i can't produce the answer with these

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##\theta## is the usual polar coordinate angle, then the unit vector in the ##r## direction is ##\langle \cos\theta, \sin\theta\rangle##. You want to rotate this vector ##90^\circ## to get a unit vector in the ##\theta## direction. So put ##\varphi = \frac \pi 2 +\theta## to get$$
    \hat u_\varphi = \langle \cos(\frac \pi 2 +\theta),\sin(\frac \pi 2 +\theta)\rangle =
    \langle \sin\theta,-\cos\theta\rangle = \langle \frac y r,-\frac x r\rangle =
    \langle \frac y {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}},-\frac x {\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\rangle$$

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much, this solves my question

5. Jun 23, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The righthand side, as you've written it, isn't a vector. Typo? It also looks like you made a sign error. Note that ##\hat{u}_\varphi = (-\sin \phi, \cos \phi,0)##. It points in the direction that ##\vec{r}## moves if you increase ##\varphi## by a small amount.

6. Jun 23, 2013 #5
    Yes indeed a typo :redface: forgot the unit vectors
    and H points in the minus [itex]\varphi[/itex] direction so i think it's alright

7. Jun 23, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If it points in the ##-\hat{u}_\varphi## direction, you have a sign error.

8. Jun 23, 2013 #7
    I don't see this error and my professor didn't see it as an error either when i first handed it in so could you please elaborate a bit more?

9. Jun 23, 2013 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure what's there to elaborate on. Your expression is equal to ##\frac{I}{2\pi r}\hat{u}_\varphi##, not ##-\frac{I}{2\pi r}\hat{u}_\varphi##.

10. Jun 23, 2013 #9
    Well I plotted it in Mathematica and I rotates clockwise around the z-axis as expected so I still don't see the error

11. Jun 23, 2013 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

According to your expression and assuming I>0, when x=y=1, for example, you have H pointing in the -x and +y direction. That's not clockwise.

12. Jun 23, 2013 #11
    Then it will point in the +x and -y direction because there is a minus sign in front of the entire vector
    H = [itex]\frac{-I}{2[itex]\pi[/itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex][[itex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]ux + [itex]\frac{-x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/itex]uy]

13. Jun 23, 2013 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Did you actually plug x=y=1 into that expression? Because of the minus sign out front, H points in the -x and +y directions.

14. Jun 23, 2013 #13
    I see you are right and my professor didn't even notice :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted