1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting equations into vectores

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I convert a polinomial equation into a vector? Example:

x^2 + 3x + 1 How do I convert it into a vector like (x,y,z) (with as many variables as possible

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing I could remember was to isolate each x into a different vector, but I'm pretty sure I learned to do it in a better way at class, just don't remember it

x^2(1,0,0) + x(0,3,0 + (0,0,1)

Thanks ahead

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm guessing that you are working with function spaces, which are similar to vector spaces. In a vector space, the coordinates of a given vector indicate a particular linear combination of basis vectors. For example, in R3, the standard basis is e1 = <1, 0, 0>, e2 = <0, 1, 0>, and e3 = <0, 0, 1>.

The vector <3, -1, 2> = 3e1 + (-1)e2 + 2e3.

In the function space of polynomials of degree 2 or less (P2), one basis is the set of functions {1, x, x2}. You can represent any polynomial of degree two or less as a linear combination of these basis functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook