1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes theorom question with a line

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F
    =(y + yz- z, 5x+zx, 2y+xy )

use stokes on the line C that intersects: x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 and y=1-x

C is in the direction so that the positive direction in the point (1,0,0) is given by a vector (0,0,1)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that I could decide my surface Y to be where the plane is cutting the sphere but I'm not sure how to parametrize this or if it's the right way to do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You only have to parameterise the line don't you, not the surface?

A natural parameterisation might be to use as parameter the angle ##\theta## that the line from the centre of the circle C to ##\mathbf{x}(\theta)## makes with the x-y plane. It should be doable from there.

If the integration gets too messy you could try rotating the coordinate system by 45 degrees around the z axis so that the circle C has a constant x' coordinate. But I'd leave that as plan B for now.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The limits for ##\theta## given by the curve ##C## would be ##0 \leq t \leq 2 \pi##, where the curve ##C## is the boundary curve of the intersection of ##y = 1 - x## and ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4##.

Find a parameterization ##\vec r(t)## such that:

$$\iint_S \text{curl}(\vec F) \cdot d \vec S = \oint_C \vec F \cdot d \vec r = \int_0^{2 \pi} \vec F( \vec r(t) ) \cdot \vec r'(t) \space dt$$

Hint: With ##y = 1 - x##, the sphere becomes an elliptic cylinder in the xz-plane: ##x^2 + (1 - x)^2 + z^2 = 4##. The projection of the elliptic cylinder onto the xz-plane produces an ellipse that is not centered at the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted