1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting parametric to cartesian equation

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    1. I found the parametric equation of a plane;

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}x\\y\\z\end{ar ray}\right) =[/tex] [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\2\\3\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] +s[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\1\\0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] +t [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2\\1\\-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

s,t ∈ R.

I was asked to find a Cartesian equation. So I write down the three equations;

x=1+s+2t
    y=2+s+t
    z=3−t

I don't understand how this set can be solved. What's the aim? Do I need to eliminate s,t from the equations?

3. The attempt at a solution

1) x=1+s+2t
    2) y=2+s+t
    3) z=3−t

If I subtract (1) and (2) => x–y=t–1
    Subtracting the third from the second => y-z = s-1+2t
    And I can also find an expression for t, from the (3) => t=3-z

Could you please show me how we can use this info to find the cartesian equation of the plane.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have t=3-z. This is an excellent start, as you can go back to say x-y=t-1 and exchange t with 3-z. Then you have an equation in x,y and z

4. Oct 27, 2008 #3
    So as soon as we have an equation in x,y and z it will be the cartesian equation?
    So, therefore x–y+z=2 is the cartesian equation of this plane.

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That will work. A plane can also be defined by a point in the plane and a vector that is normal to the plane. In your case, the point (1, 2, 3) is in the plane. To get a normal, cross the two other vectors in your parametric equation, (1, 1, 0) and (2, 1, -1). The cross product will give you a vector (A, B, C). The equation of the plane will be A(x - 1) + B(y - 2) + C(z - 3) = 0.

What I've described is probably a bit more complicated, but has the advantage of helping you comprehend the plane geometrically.

6. Oct 27, 2008 #5
    Oh, thanks very much!
    Yes, I know how to do it by finding the normal using the cross product, I just wasn't sure how to solve those set of equations.

7. Oct 28, 2008 #6
    Just out of curiosity, I tried the method you suggested:

direction vectors of the plane (vectors parallel to the plane) are:

[tex]u = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\1\\0\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex] and [tex]v = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}2\\1\\-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

so that a normal vector is u ×v (cross product) = [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}-1\\-1\\-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

So the cartesian equation is -x - 13y −z = d, satisfying any point on the plane. For example if I substitute a point on the plane (1,2,3), [which is the position vector];

-1-2-3 = d
    d = -6

=> -x - 13y −z = -6

But this is different from what we got previously, x–y+z=2. Why is it different?
    Thanks again!

8. Oct 28, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??Certainly not! Where in the world would you get the "13" from? The cross product Of [itex]\vec{i}+ \vect{j}[/itex] and [itex]2\vec{i}+ \vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] is [itex]-\vec{i}+ \vec{j}- \vec{k}[/itex] or [itex]\vec{i}- \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]} depending on the order of multiplication.

So the cartesian equation is -x - 13y −z = d, satisfying any point on the plane. For example if I substitute a point on the plane (1,2,3), [which is the position vector];

-1-2-3 = d
    d = -6

=> -x - 13y −z = -6

But this is different from what we got previously, x–y+z=2. Why is it different?
    Thanks again![/QUOTE]

9. Oct 28, 2008 #8
    oops there was a typo in my previous post...so I'll start over.

I want the general cartesian equation of the plane, Ax+By+Cz = D

I found the cross product of the two direction vectors;

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}i&j&k\\1&1&0\\2&1&-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

i [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0\\1&-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex], -j [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0\\2&-1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex], k [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&1\\2&1\end{ar ray}\right)[/tex]

Cross Product = (-1,-1,-1)

The cartesian equation is -x-y-z = D

To find a D I just substitute point (1,2,3)
    -1-2-3 = -6

Therefore => -x-y-z = -6

But the problem is that this is different from the equation we obtained previously, x–y+z=2. Why is that? I don't understand it.

10. Oct 28, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the "j" determinant is not 1, so the "j" component is not -1.

11. Oct 28, 2008 #10
    I understand. It's (-1,1,-1)

=> -x+y-z = -2

Why is it different from the other equation we obtained (y+z=2)? It is still a multiple of that equation. It looks like it has been multiplied through by -1.

12. Oct 28, 2008 #11

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

-x + y -z = -2 is different from x + y + z = 6. Geometrically they represent different planes in R^3.

13. Oct 28, 2008 #12
    I know! I'm talking about -x+y-z = -2 VS x–y+z=2 ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?