Converting the Speed of Light into Micrometres/Year for Radical Equation Problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Stratosphere
Messages
373
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


86300=[tex]\frac{86400}{1/\sqrt{1-(v/299000000){2}}}[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


When I square each side I get an astronomicly high number.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Or, better, dividing both sides by 86300 and then multiplying both sides by that square root.

And, is that
[tex]\sqrt{1- (v/299000000)2}[/tex]
supposed to be
[tex]\sqrt{1- (v/299000000)^2}[/tex]?
 
HallsofIvy said:
And, is that
[tex]\sqrt{1- (v/299000000)2}[/tex]
supposed to be
[tex]\sqrt{1- (v/299000000)^2}[/tex]?

Yah I meant to make it an exponent.
 
If you're attempting to use the relativity equations (I'm guessing to find length contraction?), rather than using metres/second for the speed of light and resulting in astronomically high numbers, or better yet, converting the speed of light into micrometres/year; why not just leave it as c, and after solving for c, substitute whatever unit of measurement you want in place for it.