1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting Transmission to Absorbance (Optics)

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    I have taken data for the transmission vs. wavelength for several types of glasses in the IR. I want to convert this to absorbance so that I can generalize transmission to different thickness glasses.

I found an equation online that stated A = 2-Log(T%) (where Log is base 10). But I do not see how this considers thickness.

Does anyone know how I can translate knowing the transmission % for a specific thickness glass to knowing the absorbance/transmission to thicker glasses?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There's a few simple formulas you can use. Starting with conservation of energy, a+t+r = 1, where 'a' is the fraction of absorbed light, 'r' the fraction of reflected light, and 't' the fraction of transmitted light.

If r = 0 (or the measurements are performed in such a way to allow r = 0), then a = 1-t. As you note, this can often be written in a way that accounts for a material's thickness. Beer's law is an approximation valid for 'weakly scattering' materials, and is given as:

I = I_0 *10^(-al), where 'a' is the *absorption coefficient* (not the same 'a' as above), and 'l' the thickness. ('t' = I/I_0)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer's_law

Now, you have the transmission as a percentage, but hopefully the wiki page will guide you along at this point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook