Converting Transmission to Absorbance (Optics)

In summary, the conversation discusses converting data on transmission vs. wavelength for various types of glasses in the infrared to absorbance in order to generalize for different thicknesses of glasses. The equation A = 2-Log(T%) is suggested, but the question arises on how to consider thickness in this equation. Conservation of energy and Beer's law are mentioned as possible formulas to use, with the latter being more suitable for weakly scattering materials. The conversation ends with a reference to the Wikipedia page for Beer's law for further guidance on how to proceed with the conversion.
csnsc14320
I have taken data for the transmission vs. wavelength for several types of glasses in the IR. I want to convert this to absorbance so that I can generalize transmission to different thickness glasses.

I found an equation online that stated A = 2-Log(T%) (where Log is base 10). But I do not see how this considers thickness.

Does anyone know how I can translate knowing the transmission % for a specific thickness glass to knowing the absorbance/transmission to thicker glasses?

Science news on Phys.org
There's a few simple formulas you can use. Starting with conservation of energy, a+t+r = 1, where 'a' is the fraction of absorbed light, 'r' the fraction of reflected light, and 't' the fraction of transmitted light.

If r = 0 (or the measurements are performed in such a way to allow r = 0), then a = 1-t. As you note, this can often be written in a way that accounts for a material's thickness. Beer's law is an approximation valid for 'weakly scattering' materials, and is given as:

I = I_0 *10^(-al), where 'a' is the *absorption coefficient* (not the same 'a' as above), and 'l' the thickness. ('t' = I/I_0)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer's_law

Now, you have the transmission as a percentage, but hopefully the wiki page will guide you along at this point.

1. What is the purpose of converting transmission to absorbance in optics?

In optics, absorbance is a measure of how much light is absorbed by a substance. By converting transmission to absorbance, we are essentially measuring the amount of light that is not transmitted through a substance. This can provide valuable information about the concentration or properties of the substance being measured.

2. How is transmission converted to absorbance?

Transmission can be converted to absorbance using the formula A = -log(T), where A is absorbance and T is transmission. This formula is based on the Beer-Lambert Law, which states that absorbance is directly proportional to the concentration of the substance and the path length of the light through the substance.

3. Why is absorbance a more useful measurement than transmission?

Absorbance is a more useful measurement than transmission because it is directly proportional to the concentration of the substance. This allows for more accurate and precise measurements of the substance's properties, such as concentration or purity. Additionally, absorbance values are typically larger and easier to measure than transmission values, making them more practical for scientific experiments.

4. What is the relationship between absorbance and transmittance?

Absorbance and transmittance are inversely related, meaning as one increases, the other decreases. This relationship is described by the formula T = 10^(-A), where T is transmittance and A is absorbance. This means that the higher the absorbance, the lower the transmittance, and vice versa.

5. Can absorbance be negative?

No, absorbance cannot be negative. The formula for absorbance, A = -log(T), ensures that absorbance values are always positive. However, absorbance values can approach zero if the transmittance is close to 100%, indicating that very little light is being absorbed by the substance.