1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution in Frequency Domain

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the Fourier transform of the following signal JUST by using the FT table and the FT properties

x(t) = sin(t) -pi<=t<=pi
    0 otherwise

NOTE: I am using CONVOLVED WITH as a substitute for * (the real convolution operator) because I cannot express multiplication in any other way that I know of).

2. Relevant equations

Frequency Convolution : x1(t)*x2(t) ==> (1/2pi)X1([itex]\omega[/itex]) CONVOLVED WITH X2([itex]\omega[/itex])

Fourier Transforms:
    sin(ω0t) ===> (pi/j)[δ(ω-ω0)-δ(ω+ω0)]

rect(t/[itex]\tau[/itex]) ===> [itex]\tau[/itex]sinc([itex]\omega[/itex][itex]\tau[/itex]/2pi)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that x(t) can be expressed as a sine multiplied with a rectangle function

x(t) = sin(t) * rect(t/2pi)

so by the frequency convolution property, X(ω)= (1/2pi)[[itex]\frac{pi}{j}[/itex][δ(ω-1)+δ(ω+1)] CONVOLVED WITH 2pi*sinc(ω)]

My problem is how to do the convolution. Is it easier than it looks? I don't know how the imaginary (j) factors into the convolution. Can someone help explain how to simplify X(ω)? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get from the problem statement that you're not supposed to doany convolving.

How about using u(t-π) and u(t+π) along with sin(t) and forgetting about your rectangle function?

4. Dec 11, 2012 #3
    My teacher actually said that using the rectangle function was the correct method of doing it, but didn't elaborate. All he said was set x(t) = sin(t)*rect(t/2pi)

5. Dec 11, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

EDIT:
    OK, then, how about the fact that

f(ω)**δ(ω-ω0) = f(ω-ω0) where I use ** to denote convolution. You have delta functions in your transform of sin(t); these are easily eliminated by using this theorem in convolving with the transform of the rectangular time function. The rest is very messy algebra.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook