Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolutions, delta functions, etc.

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    Okay, these might be better off in two separate threads but...they are somewhat related I suppse.

Anyway, I would like to know how you go about computing the convolution of two functions on the unit circle. Let's say that f(x) = x and g(x) = 1 on the interval [0, Pi] and [0, Pi/2] respectively. I think I get the idea in the discrete case, but seem to have trouble with the continuous case for some reason...

Also, is there a good reference for reading about delta functions, approximate identities and the like? It seems like most texts I've run across barely touch on the subject, but I'd like to see a more thorough, understandable treatment.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you have an definition of "convolution?"
  4. Mar 4, 2006 #3

(f*g)(x) = integral f(x-y)g(y) dy

where the limits of integration are from -Pi to Pi...
  5. Mar 4, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then all you have to do is apply that definition though the limits of integration will correspond to your particular problem. What, exactly, are you having trouble with?
  6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    It is a function of x, but what is going on with the y in there?
    And the periodic thing throws me a bit I guess...

Anyway, if somone could just do one, perhaps that would make it clearer. I can't seem to find an example in any book I have where this is done...
  7. Mar 5, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"y" is a "dummy variable" that represent the variable of integration so, for example, one of your integrals will look like this:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} (x - y) \times 1 dy[/tex]

for f(x) = x and g(x) = 1. Notice how y no longer appears after performing the integration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?