Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Coordinate of side of a irregular polgyon

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1
    Hey all, I have a list of line lengths and angles, but only the angles between line n and n-1, cant find a single expression to get the coordinate that works for all cases, i tried
    [itex] \sum{\sqrt{\frac{L^2 -c^2}{tan(\sum{\theta})^2+1}}}[/itex] and similar expressions but they all assume triangles can be constructed for each out of straight line functions, which isnt the case, any help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2
    I'm not sure I understand what you have and what you are trying to compute.

Here are some questions:
    What is the list of line angles? Is it the angle between adjacent segments? Or is it the bearing of each segment?
    If it's the angle between adjacent segments, you need the bearing on one segment.

You will also need the starting point. For example, perhaps the vertex between the first and last segment is at (0,0).

Finally, the coordinates of the other vertices can be determined by accumulating changes in X and Y from your starting point.
    x1 = x0 + sin(B0)*L0
    x2 = x1 + sin(B1)*L1

where B0, B1, ... are the angle of the lines clockwise from the X axis and the L's are the lengths.

But the key is to determine exactly what you are starting with in the way of information.

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted