Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate transformation of nabla operator

1. Apr 24, 2009 #1
    Hi all!

I am studying the Galilean group of transformations and I'm not sure how to transform the Nabla operator.

Consider the 2 transformations:

(x,t)->(x+s,t)
    (x,t)->(Dx,t)

and the expression "nabla (x)"

where D is a matrix and x, s are vectors

I am pretty sure that I have to substitute x+s or Dx for x, but what about the nabla operator. How am I supposed to transform it?

And another question: If I have a transformation which somehow changes time (t->t+T), and a second derivative dx(t)/dt of a function, then does the derivative change its variable from t to t+T [dx(t+T)/d(t+T)] under the transformation or not?

thanks a lot in advance

best regards, marin

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the chain rule. If x'= ax+ d y'= by+ e and z'= cz+ e, or [itex]<x', y', z'>= <ax+ d, by+ d, cz+ e>[/itex] then
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x'}\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x}= a\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]
    so that
    [tex]\nabla \left<f, g, \right>= \eft< a\frac{\partial f}{\partial x'}, b\frac{\partial f}{\partial y'}, c\frac{\partial f}{\partial z'}\right>[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook