Coordinate Transformation of the equation of continuity for a vaporizing droplet

In summary, the continuity equation for a droplet vaporizing liquid droplet with a varying density is found to be:\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \gamma\rho_0=\gamma \frac{\partial \rho_0}{\partial t}+\rho_0\frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial t}which may give the second term on the left and the one on the right by using \frac{d\tau}{dt}=\frac{\rho D}{\rho_0 r_0^2} But I'm not sure if I could only divide
kabaer
Hey there,

I trying to understand the following coordinate transformation of the equation of continuity (spherical coordinates) for a vaporizing liquid droplet[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^2 \rho v) = 0[/tex] into [tex]\epsilon \sigma \frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial \sigma} + \frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial \tau} + \frac{1}{\sigma^2} \frac{\partial \mu}{\partial \sigma} = -\gamma \frac{\partial ln\rho_0}{\partial \tau}[/tex] with [tex]\sigma=r/r_0,\\ \tau=\int \rho D/\rho_0 r_0^2\, dt,\\ \gamma=\rho/\rho_0,\\ \mu=r^2\rho v/r_0\rho D \\ \epsilon=-(r_0\rho_0/\rho D)dr_0/dt[/tex]where [tex]\rho D=const.[/tex] and subscript 0 means condition at the droplet surface.
This transformation comes from F.A. Williams "On the Assumptions Underlying Droplet Vaporization and Combustion Theories" J. Chem. Phys. 33, 133 (1960); doi: 10.1063/1.1731068

Actually I only have problems reproducing the first term, so I appreciate if someone can guide me through this transformation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some questions:

What is D, the diffusion coefficient?
Why is the density varying with time (and position?)?

Yes, D is the diffusion coefficient. The density is vary in time and space since it represents the mass at the point r in every instance t.

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \gamma\rho_0=\gamma \frac{\partial \rho_0}{\partial t}+\rho_0\frac{\partial \gamma}{\partial t}[/tex]which may give the second term on the left and the one on the right by using [tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}=\frac{\rho D}{\rho_0 r_0^2}[/tex] But I'm not sure if I could only divide [tex]\tau \ \text{by}\ dt \text{, since}\ \rho_0 r_0^2\ \text{are both time dependent}[/tex]However, I'm assumed that [tex]\tau=\int_0^\tau d\tau[/tex]so that the former division should be valid, right?
For the [tex]\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(r^2\rho v)[/tex] I got [tex]\frac{1}{r_0 \sigma^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial \sigma}(\frac{r^2\rho v}{\rho D})[/tex] taking into account [tex]\frac{\rho D}{\rho_0 r_0^2}[/tex] from the time derivative and ρD=const.. Thus leading to [tex]\frac{1}{r_0 \sigma^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial \sigma}(\frac{r^2\rho v}{\rho D})=\frac{1}{\sigma^2}[\frac{\partial}{\partial \sigma}\mu-\frac{r^2\rho v}{\rho D}\frac{\partial}{\partial \sigma}\frac{1}{r_0}][/tex]. The first term is in accordance with the third term on the left of the solution. However, I got headache getting the first term on the left of the solution from [tex]-\frac{r^2\rho v}{\rho D}\frac{\partial}{\partial \sigma}\frac{1}{r_0}[/tex]

Last edited:
You still haven't adequately articulated for me what is actually going on here physically. I'm beginning to get the idea that you are making a change of variable to remap the drop radial coordinate, by scaling it by the instantaneous radius of the drop. I still don't know why the density is varying with time and position unless (a) the temperature is also changing or (b) you have more than one component in the liquid phase (only one of which is volatile). I'm also wondering why the diffusion coefficient is present in the overall mass balance equation, unless D represents the diffusion coefficient in the gas phase outside the drop.

You need to provide more details on this problem: fewer equations and more words.

Chet

I think I may be able to help. If f is a function of t and r, then

[tex]df=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_{\sigma}dt+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma}\right)_{t}d\sigma[/tex]
So, [tex]\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_r=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_{\sigma}+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma}\right)_{t}\left(\frac{\partial \sigma}{\partial t}\right)_r[/tex]
So,
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_r=
\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}\right)_{\sigma}
-\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial \sigma}\right)_{t}
\frac{\sigma}{r_0} \frac{dr_0}{dt}[/tex]

The second term here corresponds to your missing term.

Chet

Last edited:
Ok I'm sorry for that.
The continuity equation is only the simplest one of the transformed equations. The hole set of equations comprise in addition the "species conservation equation" and "energy conservation equation". These equations form the differential equations for a droplet vaporizing or burning in quiescent air.
The density is changing due to temperature changes (in the droplet as well as outside) and due to different species (only outside in the gas phase - the liquid contains only one component). The diffusion coefficient represents the value in the gas phase outside the droplet due to the different species (air for vaporizing case and products for burning case).

First of all, thank you very much dealing with this problem.
Of course, the total derivative will give the missing (first) term of the solution if I put [tex]df=d\gamma[/tex]. But this leaves me with the residual partial derivatives, which are not in accordance with my former route of transformation. Maybe I did mistakes already before...

1. What is coordinate transformation in the context of a vaporizing droplet?

Coordinate transformation in this context refers to the conversion of the equation of continuity, which describes the conservation of mass in a fluid, from its original Cartesian coordinate system to a new coordinate system that is more suitable for studying the behavior of a vaporizing droplet.

2. Why is coordinate transformation necessary for studying a vaporizing droplet?

Coordinate transformation is necessary because the behavior of a vaporizing droplet is highly dependent on its shape and size, which can change over time due to evaporation. Therefore, using a coordinate system that is aligned with the droplet's shape can provide more accurate and insightful results.

3. How is the equation of continuity transformed in the new coordinate system?

The equation of continuity is transformed by applying a mathematical technique called the Reynolds transport theorem, which relates the time rate of change of a fluid property to changes in the fluid's volume and mass. This allows for the equation of continuity to be expressed in terms of the new coordinate system's variables.

4. What are the benefits of using a transformed equation of continuity for a vaporizing droplet?

Using a transformed equation of continuity allows for a more accurate and detailed analysis of the behavior of a vaporizing droplet. It also simplifies the mathematical calculations and provides a better understanding of the underlying physical processes involved in the droplet's evaporation.

5. Are there any limitations to using coordinate transformation for studying a vaporizing droplet?

While coordinate transformation can provide valuable insights, it is not a perfect solution. It may not accurately capture all the complexities of the droplet's behavior, and the results may still require validation through experimental data. Additionally, the transformation process itself can be mathematically challenging and time-consuming.