Cosmological Constant Problem / Vacuum Catastrophe

In summary: Virtual particles have a mass, but it's not related to their existence as real particles. It's related to the virtual reality that they exist in.
cbd1
By my understanding, the cosmological constant problem is that the computed vacuum energy by quantum field theory (in the form of virtual particle pairs) is far larger than the measured vacuum energy density.

Would it not seem to solve the problem with dropping the proposed mass of "virtual particles"? Say, we assume that the quantum fluctuations of empty space are just that, artifact fluctuations from the uncertainty principle, and not really particle pairs with mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
virtual particles are what are responsible for the fundamental forces in the universe, if they did not have mass, there wouldn't be any transfer of momentum between objects via these virtual particles and forces would not exist.

Soothsayer's answer would imply electromagnetism doesn't work, as photons are massless. Nevertheless, he's right that 'dropping the proposed mass of "virtual particles"' doesn't make any difference in this calculation.

Vanadium 50 said:
Soothsayer's answer would imply electromagnetism doesn't work, as photons are massless. Nevertheless, he's right that 'dropping the proposed mass of "virtual particles"' doesn't make any difference in this calculation.
Even though the rest mass of a photon is zero, its relativistic mass is nonzero, so it can still transfer momentum.

Yeah, you have a point there, just because a photon has mass, doesn't mean it carries no momentum. I suppose the same could be said of any massless particle, but cbd1's proposition would also imply that the strong/weak nuclear force are a result of a transfer of massless particles, which must necessarily travel the speed of light, yes? Have any tests been done as to the speed of the nuclear forces? I imagine it would be hard to do, but I do believe the strong and weak nuclear force are suppose to travel slower than c...

Also, If the virtual particles responsible for nuclear interactions were massless, it would not explain their strength, one would have to conclude that the weak and strong nuclear forces would be as strong as the EMF.

lugita15 said:
Even though the rest mass of a photon is zero, its relativistic mass is nonzero, so it can still transfer momentum.
"Rest" mass is not a very appropriate term for a photon or for every particle traveling at c. Simply "mass" is ok.
Anyway, if you want to give it a different name, call it "invariant" mass.
"Relativistic mass" is an obsolete term, you can do without it.
Finally, consider that simply in classical electrodynamics you prove that light has momentum, so you don't need to invoke "relativistic mass" to explain momentum, in this context.

I understand that real virtual particles (if that makes sense) are required for the forces. I see it that this is the only time they actually exist, when they're being used. When they are not used, and it is just empty spacetime, I feel you could find them non-real virtual particles, which no mass, as they do not exist, only when they are actually used are they manifested. I find there could be no proof that this is wrong.. that is, no proof that the virtual particles exist without actually invoking them to participate in doing something real, at which point I would have no argument against their actual, mass-having existence.

Does this jive better?

Vanadium 50 said:

Does this meaning that my understanding of the cosmological constant problem/vacuum catastrophe is wrong? Or was my description generally correct about the problem?

cbd1 said:
I understand that real virtual particles (if that makes sense) are required for the forces. I see it that this is the only time they actually exist, when they're being used. When they are not used, and it is just empty spacetime, I feel you could find them non-real virtual particles, which no mass, as they do not exist, only when they are actually used are they manifested. I find there could be no proof that this is wrong.. that is, no proof that the virtual particles exist without actually invoking them to participate in doing something real, at which point I would have no argument against their actual, mass-having existence.

Does this jive better?
Independently of the question if virtual particles "exist" or not, you seem to insist relating their existence to their "mass". The two concepts are unrelated. Real photons, for example, certainly exist, *have energy* and don't have mass.

Last edited:
lugita15 said:

This is very vague and inaccurate. A photon cannot have a relativistic mass. Not only is the term no longer accurate (Einstein stopped using it later in the progress of Relativity[1]), but if one were to look at the relativistic mass equation, there's no one for something to have a non-zero relativistic mass with a zero rest mass to start with!

A photon has a momentum. It has no mass, be it relativistic, covariant, or rest. Period.

Zz.

[1] E. Hecht, Am. J. Phys. v.77, p.799 (2009).

lightarrow said:
Independently of the question if virtual particles "exist" or not, you seem to insist relating their existence to their "mass". The two concepts are unrelated. Real photons, for example, certainly exist, *have energy* and don't have mass.

But it is not virtual photon pairs that are said to be popping into and out of existence. It is thought to be 'virtual particle' pairs, which would be expected to give a large mass equivalence to the vacuum energy. Is it not this mass equivalence value discrepancy where the cosmological constant problem stems?

(And photons do have mass, in the form of their radiation energy equivalent. They just don't have rest mass, but that is not the subject of this thread.)

So what you're proposing is that virtual particles only have mass if they are being used in creating a force? Seems a little inconsistent to me. If it were true, as to whether or not that decrease in energy would consolidate predicted and measured vacuum energy is beyond me, perhaps it would be an interesting calculation to make, it would certainly imply something very important if the values matched up.

It is clear from the observed cosmological constant that all of the virtual particles in empty spacetime predicted by quantum mechanics simply cannot exist, or the universe would have swallowed itself from gravity from all of these 'virtual' particles. To me, it is simple, for the observations in this universe, the masses of these virtual particles is not real, and thus the virutal particles are not real (as the name "virtual" particles would infer). My answer to this has been that it is not actually particles down there, but only quantum fluctuations as predicted by the uncertainty principle.

Yes, that's just what virtual particles are, quantum fluctuations, but quantum fluctuations as predicted by the uncertainty principle necessarily have an energy, as allowed by the uncertainty principle, that can't be ignored in gravitational calculations.

What is the cosmological constant problem?

The cosmological constant problem is a major issue in modern physics, particularly in the study of cosmology and the nature of the universe. It refers to the discrepancy between the predicted and observed value of the cosmological constant, a term in Einstein's theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of empty space or vacuum. The predicted value is much larger than the observed value, leading to questions about the nature of this constant and its role in shaping the universe.

What is the vacuum catastrophe?

The vacuum catastrophe is another term used to describe the cosmological constant problem. It refers to the theoretical prediction that the vacuum energy, or the energy of empty space, should be extremely high and thus have a significant impact on the expansion of the universe. This prediction is in stark contrast to observations, which show that the vacuum energy is actually very low. This mismatch is known as the vacuum catastrophe.

Why is the cosmological constant problem important?

The cosmological constant problem is important because it highlights a major issue in our understanding of the universe. It raises questions about the fundamental nature of space and time, and it challenges our current theories and models of the universe. Solving this problem could lead to a deeper understanding of the universe and its evolution.

What are some proposed solutions to the cosmological constant problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the cosmological constant problem, but none have been widely accepted as a definitive answer. Some involve modifying Einstein's theory of general relativity, while others suggest that the cosmological constant is not a constant at all, but rather a varying quantity. Other theories propose that the vacuum energy is cancelled out by some other unknown force or mechanism.

How does the cosmological constant problem relate to dark energy?

Dark energy is a term used to describe the mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. The cosmological constant problem is closely related to dark energy, as it is thought that the cosmological constant may be a possible explanation for dark energy. However, the discrepancy between predicted and observed values of the cosmological constant means that it cannot fully explain the effects of dark energy, and thus the mystery remains.