Cosmology - Friedman Equation Problem

• Thread starter Tangent87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the equation of state P=\sigma\rho c^2 and showing that a(0)=0. The solution involves substituting the equation of state into the fluid equation and solving for \rho. The unknown constant can then be determined using a(t_0)=1. It is also mentioned that for a dust universe, \sigma=0, and the age of the universe can be calculated using t_0 = 2/3 1/H_0. Finally, it is explained that t_0 is a convention chosen to shift the time axis and that a(0) is not necessarily 0 unless explicitly stated in the problem.
Tangent87
I am doing question A1/16 part (i) at the top of page 13 here:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2001/Part_2/list_II.pdf

I am stuck on the last part where we're given the equation of state [tex]P=\sigma\rho c^2[/tex] and we have to find a(t) and SHOW a(0)=0. I will work through to where I've got to and the problem I encounter:

So first of all if we substitute the equation of state into the fluid equation we find:

[tex] \frac{\dot{\rho}}{\rho}=-3(\sigma+1)\frac{\dot{a}}{a}[/tex]

Solving this we get

[tex]\rho=Aa^{-3(\sigma+1)}[/tex] where A is a constant. Then we substitute this into the equation for k and use k=0 as they've told us to obtain:

[tex]\frac{\dot{a^2}}{a^2}=\frac{8\pi G}{3}\rho=\frac{8\pi G}{3}Aa^{-3(\sigma+1)}[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]\frac{\dot{a}}{a}=\left(\frac{8\pi G}{3}A\right)^{1/2}a^{-\frac{3}{2}(\sigma+1)}[/tex]

We can then use a(t_0)=1 (which means [tex]\dot{a}(t_0)=H_0[/tex]) to find [tex]A^{1/2}=H_0\left(\frac{3}{8\pi G}\right)^{1/2}[/tex]

We then integrate and finally we get:

[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2}a^{\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2}=H_0t+const[/tex]

But what do we do now? Because the only way I see to get rid of the const is to assume a(0)=0 which is want we want to SHOW! What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simply use a(t_0) = 1 again to determine the unknown constant. Even if I'm not sure where this comes from.

grey_earl said:
Simply use a(t_0) = 1 again to determine the unknown constant. Even if I'm not sure where this comes from.

But then we'll have a non-zero constant and so there's no way that a(0) will be 0? If we're to have any chance of showing a(0)=0 then we have to have than const being 0 a priori.

Have you done the calculus? What do you get for the constant?

grey_earl said:
Have you done the calculus? What do you get for the constant?

If we use a(t_0)=1 again we'll get [tex]const=\frac{1}{\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2}-H_0t_0[/tex]. And so [tex]a^{\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2}=(\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2)H_0t+1-H_0t_0(\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2)
[/tex]

And so a(0) is definitely not 0, maybe there's a mistake in my derivation but I don't see anything?

So a(0) = 0 if and exactly if [tex] H_0 t_0 (3/2 \sigma +3/2) = 1[/tex], which determines t_0 if you have measured [tex]\sigma[/tex] and H_0 (by astronomical observations). And that's all.

BTW: I think in the next exercise they ask you to calculate the age of the universe, no? For a dust universe, σ=0, and so t_0 = 2/3 1/H_0, which is smaller than 1/H_0, so the universe is younger than Hubble makes us believe :)

Last edited:
grey_earl said:
So a(0) = 0 if and exactly if [tex] H_0 t_0 (3/2 \sigma +3/2) = 1[/tex], which determines t_0 if you have measured [tex]\sigma[/tex] and H_0 (by astronomical observations). And that's all.

Hmm yeah I noticed that too but I'm still not sure about it because you can't determine [tex] H_0 t_0 (3/2 \sigma +3/2) = 1[/tex] from any of the previous calculations, like you said you just have to define it that way but it seems like it's just kind of assuming what you want to show.

True, but neither you can [tex]\dot a(t_0) = H_0[/tex], or at least I don't see how. But assuming there is no error in your calculations (which I don't think, to me they look ok), without assuming this, you cannot show a(0) = 0. It's assuming one or the other.

grey_earl said:
True, but neither you can [tex]\dot a(t_0) = H_0[/tex], or at least I don't see how. But assuming there is no error in your calculations (which I don't think, to me they look ok), without assuming this, you cannot show a(0) = 0. It's assuming one or the other.

No I disagree, we not assuming [tex]\dot a(t_0) = H_0[/tex] since by definition [tex]H(t)=\frac{\dot a(t)}{a(t)}[/tex] so [tex]H_0=H(t_0)=\frac{\dot a(t_0)}{a(t_0)}=\frac{\dot a(t_0)}{1}=\dot{a(t_0)}[/tex]

Ok, I see your point. How do you define t_0 ?

grey_earl said:
Ok, I see your point. How do you define t_0 ?

t_0 is just the time "today" (see the question)

Well, but that's no definition like you gave for H_0. From your solution, for every value of the free constant you will have a time t_1 where a(t_1) = 0, namely t_1 = -const/H_0. Then you just shift the time variable by a constant amount (namely, t_1) and have a(0) = 0, and "today" is t_0+t_1 = t_0^new. That's just the usual freedom to make a linear transformation of coordinates, i.e. choose units and zero point. You can specify this by giving two conditions on the time coordinate, p.ex. a(t_0) = 1 and [tex]\dot a_0(t_0) = H_0[/tex], but then a(0) is just what is given by your formula. If you want it to be zero, that's an extra restriction relating H_0, t_0 and σ, which doesn't follow from the maths, but the exact definition of those variables. So you define "today", i.e. t_0 by saying that a(0) = 0, which gives you the above restriction.

Tangent87 said:
If we use a(t_0)=1 again we'll get [tex]const=\frac{1}{\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2}-H_0t_0[/tex]. And so [tex]a^{\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2}=(\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2)H_0t+1-H_0t_0(\frac{3}{2}\sigma+3/2)
[/tex]

And so a(0) is definitely not 0, maybe there's a mistake in my derivation but I don't see anything?

You can use the above equation to show that there is some [tex]t_{BB}[/tex] for which [tex]a(t_{BB}) = 0 [/tex]. It is purely a convention to shift the time axis so that [tex]t_{BB}=0[/tex]. Then [tex]t_0[/tex] is the age of the universe.

Ok thanks all, it makes sense now.

1. What is the Friedman equation in cosmology?

The Friedman equation is a fundamental equation in cosmology that describes the evolution of the universe. It relates the expansion rate of the universe to its energy density and curvature.

2. What is the problem with the Friedman equation?

The Friedman equation has been a subject of debate and research in cosmology because it predicts a universe that is either expanding or contracting, but does not account for the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion.

3. How has the problem with the Friedman equation been addressed?

The problem with the Friedman equation has been addressed by adding a term to the equation known as the cosmological constant, which accounts for the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion. This term is often referred to as dark energy.

4. What is the role of dark energy in the Friedman equation problem?

Dark energy, represented by the cosmological constant, plays a crucial role in solving the problem with the Friedman equation. It is thought to be the source of the observed acceleration of the universe's expansion and is an important factor in understanding the overall dynamics of the universe.

5. What are the implications of the Friedman equation problem for our understanding of the universe?

The Friedman equation problem has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It challenges our current theories and models of cosmology and highlights the need for further research and exploration in this field to better understand the complexities of the universe.