1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cost of high capacity compressors ($/kW)

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    Hello -

I was looking at costs of compressors online and could find a couple of links that provided me $ for the power I was looking at. As the power increases, $/kW decreased. The range of kW that these websites could give me cost for was well below what I was looking at.
    Can someone help me with the cost of a compressor with a capacity of 4 MW. The likes of GE axial compressors that are used for Petroleum or Power applications.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Equipment of that size doesn't come with a price tag in a catalog. You'll need to speak directly to an equipment vendor and get a quote.

That said, I'd be surprised if the efficiency increases much once you get above a few tens of kW in size - the theoretical maximum efficiency is a matter of thermodynamics.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook