Can a car run solely on wind and electricity?

• Thread starter Shyyk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Wind
In summary, the concept of a car running purely off of wind and electricity is proposed, with the idea of eliminating the need for gas, recharging, or precious water sources. The concept involves using a self-propelled wind turbine system to compress air and spin internal turbines, which would act as generators to produce electricity and recharge the battery. However, this idea is not feasible due to the laws of conservation of energy, making perpetual motion machines impossible. Links are provided for further understanding.
Shyyk
Hey community! First I'd like to say that this is just a concept. There are probably many faults in this idea since I'm only 16.

Basically, I was wondering if it would be possible for a car that runs purely off of wind/electricity. My concept would completely eliminate the need for gas, recharging, or precious water sources.

The concept is relatively simple on the surface. The car initially starts similarly to an electric car. Once the car is in motion, the car begins to take air in from the front. The wind is ran through some type of self propelled wind turbine system located near the front. The front turbines would compress the air to a high speed. Once the air is compressed, the air would spin an internal turbine(s) (which could be linked up to the front turbines to turn them). The internal turbine(s) would act like a generator producing electricity for the car and recharging the battery. Theoretically this car would run itself at certain speeds.

Here are some of the questions I would like answered.
1) What is your opinion on this idea?
2) How efficient would a wind generator be? If it's bad, what could be an alternate solution?
3) Could air be compressed enough and made to move at high speeds (200+ mph)?

These are the main questions, but I'll probably ask more later. Thanks for the help! :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Shyyk said:
Hey community! First I'd like to say that this is just a concept. There are probably many faults in this idea since I'm only 16.

Basically, I was wondering if it would be possible for a car that runs purely off of wind/electricity. My concept would completely eliminate the need for gas, recharging, or precious water sources.

The concept is relatively simple on the surface. The car initially starts similarly to an electric car. Once the car is in motion, the car begins to take air in from the front. The wind is ran through some type of self propelled wind turbine system located near the front. The front turbines would compress the air to a high speed. Once the air is compressed, the air would spin an internal turbine(s) (which could be linked up to the front turbines to turn them). The internal turbine(s) would act like a generator producing electricity for the car and recharging the battery. Theoretically this car would run itself at certain speeds.

Here are some of the questions I would like answered.
1) What is your opinion on this idea?
2) How efficient would a wind generator be? If it's bad, what could be an alternate solution?
3) Could air be compressed enough and made to move at high speeds (200+ mph)?

These are the main questions, but I'll probably ask more later. Thanks for the help! :smile:

Welcome to the PF.

No, sorry. What you are describing is a Perpetual Motion Machine (PMM) or Free Energy setup, both of which are impossible because of basic physics. It's good to ask questions, but in this case, conservation of energy makes it impossible.

I'm going to lock this thread (PMMs and Free Energy are on the Banned Topics list at the Rules link at the top of the page). But check back in a bit, because I'll post a link to a webpage that will help you to understand why all PMMs cannot work.

EDIT -- Here are some good links that you can read through to help you understand:

http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

Last edited:

1. Can wind really power a car?

Yes, wind can be used as a source of energy to power a car. Wind energy is converted into mechanical energy through the use of wind turbines, which can then power the car's engine.

2. How does a wind-powered car work?

A wind-powered car uses a wind turbine to capture the kinetic energy of the wind and convert it into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy is then used to power the car's engine and move the vehicle forward.

3. Are there any wind-powered cars currently in use?

There are currently several prototypes and experimental wind-powered cars being tested, but there are no commercially available wind-powered cars for everyday use at this time. However, there are many hybrid cars that use a combination of wind and solar power to reduce reliance on traditional energy sources.

4. What are the advantages of a wind-powered car?

One of the main advantages of a wind-powered car is its use of a renewable energy source. Wind is a clean and abundant source of energy, making it a more sustainable option compared to fossil fuels. Wind-powered cars also have lower emissions and can potentially reduce the cost of fuel for drivers.

5. Are there any limitations to using wind-powered cars?

One limitation of wind-powered cars is their dependence on wind availability. If there is no wind or low wind speeds, the car may not be able to generate enough energy to power its engine. Additionally, wind turbines can be bulky and may not be suitable for all types of vehicles, limiting their widespread use in the automotive industry.