Derivation of NS Equations in Cylindrical Coordinates | Continuity Equation

• Thread starter islamphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the derivation of the NS equations in cylindrical coordinates, starting from x-y coordinates. The equations for converting between the two coordinate systems are provided, and it is mentioned that the chain rule can be used to find the second derivatives.
islamphysics
dose anyone have a derivation for NS equations in the cylindrical coordinates starting from x-y coordinates

Or Even a derivation for the continuity equation

Physics news on Phys.org
NS is "Navier-Stokes"?

In cylindrical coordinates, [itex]r= (x^2+ y^2)^{1/2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= arctan(y/x)[/itex].

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}= (1/2)(x^2+ y^2)^{-1/2}(2x)= \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}= \frac{x}{r}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{r cos(\theta)}{r}= cos(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}= sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}= \frac{1}{1+ (y/x)^2}(-y/x^2)=\frac{-y}{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{-r sin(\theta)}{r^2}= -\frac{sin(\theta)}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial y}= \frac{1}{1+ (y/x)^2}(1/x)= \frac{x}{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{r cos(\theta)}{r^2}= \frac{cos(\theta)}{r}[/tex]

Using the chain rule
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial x}[/tex]

You should be able to finish that, and then the second derivatives yourself. It's tedious but requires no deep mathematics.

1. What does "could anyone help me" mean?

The phrase "could anyone help me" is a request for assistance or support. It is often used when someone is struggling with a problem or task and needs assistance from others.

2. How do I use "could anyone help me" in a sentence?

"Could anyone help me" can be used in a variety of situations. For example, you could say "Could anyone help me carry these boxes?" or "I'm having trouble with this math problem, could anyone help me?"

3. Is "could anyone help me" polite?

Yes, "could anyone help me" is considered a polite and respectful way to ask for assistance. It shows that you are acknowledging the other person's ability to help and are not demanding their help.

4. How can I respond when someone asks "could anyone help me"?

If you are able to help, you can respond with "Sure, I can help you" or "Of course, what do you need help with?" If you are not able to help, you can politely say "I'm sorry, I'm not able to help right now" or "I'm sure someone else will be able to assist you."

5. What are some alternatives to "could anyone help me"?

Other phrases that can be used to ask for help include "Can someone help me?" "Would anyone be able to assist me?" or "I could use some help, if anyone is available."