1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could anyone please suggest a nice book for Engineering Mathematics

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    Could anyone please suggest a nice book for Engineering Mathematics for the first semester???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    Re: Help!!!

What discipline in engineering? Mechanical, Electrical, ...

Thanks
    Matt

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

They usually recommend / mandate one. If you can hold still for another week or two, you should be finding out shortly. If not, you could always try e-mailing the prof teaching the course and find out (though they usually have this available in the bookstore most places, organized by either prof or section). If it's just for your own self-interest, you could try Stewart (good explanations, IMO, and decent amount of examples).

There's also Spivak, but that presumes you already know calculus, and takes you through the fundamentals of analysis and proofs (and sort of requires you to do everything to 'journey through' a development of basic calculus and mathematical axioms). I didn't enjoy that so much, but several of my friends / classmates (who were at least honours math majors, and now either Math graduate students, lawyers, or, in one case, a prof in mathematics) did.

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4

Thanks........ I am in Mechanical Engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook