Could I please get some advice on my fall schedule?

In summary, the speaker is planning to take Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, Analysis I, Waves and Thermal Physics, and History of Classical Music for the next fall semester. They are also involved in extracurricular activities such as the rocketry project team, astronomy research, violin lessons, and a position at a plasma laboratory. However, they are feeling overwhelmed and are seeking advice on how to make their schedule more manageable while still keeping their options open for their undecided career plans. They are considering dropping one research position and possibly the rocketry project team in order to focus on one area of research.
merovingian12
I'm finishing up my freshman year of college and next fall I'm planning to take:

Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems (4 credits)
Analysis I (4)
Waves and Thermal Physics (4)
History of Classical Music (for gen. ed. requirements) (3)

I'm fairly confident about my course selection but I'm not so sure about my "extracurricular" activities. Right now I'm on the rocketry project team (2), doing astronomy research (currently for two credits, and it would stay that way in the fall,) and taking violin lessons. Recently I talked to a professor and got a position at the plasma laboratory starting this fall, which I'm really excited about.

But now I have too much. It would be nice if I could get rid of one or two commitments. However, while I've decided to double major in math and physics, I'm very confused about my interests and am still undecided about my plans beyond my undergrad years. I'm trying to reconcile my interests in pure math, physics (especially astrophysics,) and aerospace engineering, and at this point I could see myself doing any of these in grad school. As for the music lessons, it's something I enjoy and it's a way to take a break from all my STEM activities. So I'm hesitant to drop that as well.

Could someone give me some suggestions on how to make my schedule more manageable while still keeping my options open?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were in this situation, I would drop one research position in addition to possibly dropping rocketry project team. Your schedule is pretty light academically, but better to do excellent research in one area than decent research in two areas.

What classes should I take in the fall?

Choosing the right classes for the fall can be overwhelming, but it's important to consider your academic goals, major requirements, and personal interests. I recommend meeting with your academic advisor to discuss your options and create a balanced schedule.

How many classes should I take in the fall?

The number of classes you should take in the fall depends on your individual workload and academic goals. Most students take between 12-18 credits per semester. However, it's important to consider your personal commitments and make sure you have enough time to study and participate in extracurricular activities.

Should I take any online classes in the fall?

Online classes can offer flexibility and convenience, but they may not be the best option for everyone. Consider your learning style and whether you have access to reliable technology before enrolling in an online course. It's also important to make sure the online class fulfills the same requirements as an in-person class.

What classes should I take as a first-year student?

As a first-year student, it's important to focus on completing general education requirements and exploring different subjects before declaring a major. I recommend taking a mix of introductory courses in different departments to help you discover your interests and strengths.

How can I balance my workload in the fall?

Balancing your workload in the fall can be challenging, but there are several strategies you can use. Make sure to prioritize your assignments and manage your time effectively. It's also important to take breaks and engage in self-care to prevent burnout. Additionally, consider reaching out to your professors or seeking academic support if you are feeling overwhelmed.