Could Insects Be the Next Bioweapons?

In summary, experts are concerned about the potential use of insects as bioweapons due to their ability to spread deadly pathogens quickly and efficiently. Sonny Ramaswamy, chair of the entomology department at Kansas State University, believes that even small insects like stable flies and aphids could be used in this manner. This method may not be as spectacular as other forms of terrorism, but it is more insidious. Some scientists have even explored the idea of using genetically modified mosquitoes as a means of delivering immunizations, but this could also be used for nefarious purposes. There is also evidence that bio warfare using insects has been attempted in the past. However, by discussing these possibilities, there is a concern that it could give ideas to
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Could Insects Be Used as Bioweapons?

April 8 — Sonny Ramaswamy is trying to walk a very fine line. He doesn't want to be seen as an alarmist, but he thinks people ought to know about the thought that keeps haunting him these days.

Ramaswamy, who chairs the department of entomology at Kansas State University, is concerned that the tiny little insects he has spent a lifetime studying could become implements of international terrorism.

It's possible, he says, that even a stable fly, or something as tiny as an aphid, could be used to distribute deadly pathogens over a wide geographical area in a surprisingly rapid and efficient manner. Bugs as delivery systems for weapons of mass terror.

"It wouldn't be as spectacular as the World Trade Center," he says, "but it would be more insidious."

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/SciTech/DyeHard/insects_terrorism_dyehard_040408-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Since there is no way that I am going to make my deadline in the morning anyway, :frown:, I saw something similar on The Science Channel. Apparently some scientists are playing with the idea of designer mosquito's that provide immunizations with every bite. The idea that this approach could be used to design a bio-weapon was mentioned as well. In fact...I just remembered seeing some previously classified footage about bio warfare during the Korean War. The statement was made that we [the US] had spread anthrax laden maggots over troops in N Korea. I don't know if this is true...it may have been some kind of propaganda film from N Korea, but in either case it seems that the idea is not completely new.

It was nice of these guys to tell everyone how to do it.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
It was nice of these guys to tell everyone how to do it.
My thoughts exactly. Every time they bring up a way terrorist's can do something, I wonder if they aren't just giving them ideas.

1. What are "Insects of Mass Destruction"?

"Insects of Mass Destruction" is a term used to describe insects that have the potential to cause significant harm or destruction to the environment, agriculture, human health, or other insects. These insects may have a strong ability to reproduce, spread quickly, or carry diseases that can have devastating effects.

2. How do insects become "Insects of Mass Destruction"?

Insects can become "Insects of Mass Destruction" through various means, such as accidental introduction to a new environment, lack of natural predators, favorable environmental conditions, or genetic mutations that increase their destructive capabilities.

3. What are some examples of "Insects of Mass Destruction"?

Some examples of "Insects of Mass Destruction" include locusts, which can cause widespread crop damage and famine; the Asian citrus psyllid, which spreads a disease that destroys citrus trees; and the emerald ash borer, which has killed millions of ash trees in North America.

4. How do scientists study and monitor "Insects of Mass Destruction"?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study and monitor "Insects of Mass Destruction." This can include field surveys, laboratory experiments, genetic analysis, and remote sensing technologies. They also work closely with government agencies, farmers, and other stakeholders to track and mitigate the spread of these insects.

5. How can we prevent or control "Insects of Mass Destruction"?

Preventing and controlling "Insects of Mass Destruction" can involve a combination of approaches, such as quarantine and inspection measures, biological control methods, insecticide use, and research on resistant crop varieties. It is important for individuals and communities to be aware of the potential risks and to take action to prevent the spread of these insects.

Back