Could someone please expalin this in an easier way?

• Thread starter NadaN70
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a recent article from the Public Library of Medicine about potential future disease trends. The article compares three scenarios and predicts that the leading causes of burden of disease in 2030 will include HIV/AIDS, unipolar depressive disorders, and ischemic heart disease. It also mentions road traffic accidents as a leading cause in one scenario and predicts that HIV/AIDS will become the leading cause in middle- and low-income countries by 2015. The conversation also includes a link to the original article and a suggestion not to use it for a persuasive essay due to its inclusion of optimistic and pessimistic projections.
NadaN70
Could someone please expalin this in an easier way??

A recent issue of the Public Library of Medicine published an article speculating on what directions disease will take in the future. They compare three different scenarios: a baseline, and optimistic model and a pessimistic model. Their primary conclusion:
The three leading causes of burden of disease in 2030 are projected to include HIV/AIDS, unipolar depressive disorders, and ischemic heart disease in the baseline and pessimistic scenarios. Road traffic accidents are the fourth leading cause in the baseline scenario, and the third leading cause ahead of ischemic heart disease in the optimistic scenario. Under the baseline scenario, HIV/AIDS becomes the leading cause of burden of disease in middle- and low-income countries by 2015.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a link?

If this is for your persuasive essay, it might not be best to use it, because it has "optimistic" and "pessimistic" projections, meaning that it will give both extremes of probability for the future disease distribution. It does not specifically say that it will be better or worse.

This is the original article: http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0030442

Last edited by a moderator:
How much of that statement DID you understand? I'm not sure what part needs to be made easier. It seems like there are three scenarios, and simple lists of most likely leading causes of death to accompany each.

1. How can I better understand complex scientific concepts?

The best way to understand complex scientific concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. Try to think of real-world examples or analogies that can help make the concept easier to grasp. It may also be helpful to consult with an expert or do some additional research on the topic.

2. What can I do if I don't understand a scientific explanation?

If you don't understand a scientific explanation, don't be afraid to ask for clarification. You can ask the person speaking to explain the concept in simpler terms or provide more context. It can also be helpful to take notes and review the information later on your own.

3. Is it better to learn scientific concepts through visuals or text?

This depends on the individual and the specific concept being learned. Some people may find visuals, such as diagrams or videos, to be more helpful in understanding scientific concepts. Others may prefer written explanations. It's important to experiment and find what works best for you.

4. How can I make sure I fully understand a scientific concept?

To ensure you have a thorough understanding of a scientific concept, try to explain it to someone else in your own words. This will help you identify any gaps in your understanding and allow you to ask for clarification if needed. You can also try to apply the concept in different contexts to solidify your understanding.

5. Why is it important to be able to explain scientific concepts in simpler terms?

Being able to explain scientific concepts in simpler terms is important because it allows for better communication and understanding among a wider audience. It also helps to break down complex ideas and make them more relatable and applicable to everyday life.