Coulumb's law: What is the net charge of the shell?

In summary, the charge on the shell is uniformly distributed, and is equal to the charge on the individual pieces of charge multiplied together.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

A nonconduction spherical shell, with an inner radius of 4.0 cm and an outer radius of 6.0 cm, has charge spread nonuniformly through its volume between its inner and outer surfaces. The volume charge density p is the charge per unit volume, with the unit coulumb per cubic meter. For this shell p = b/r, r is the distance in meters from the center of the shell and b = 3.0µ C/ m^2. What is the net charge of the shell?

Homework Equations

Density = mass / volume

or p = mass / volume

volume of a sphere (3/4) * pi * r^2

Coulumb's law: F= k * (Q1 * Q2)/r^2

F = m*a

K= 8.99 * 10^9 N* m^2/C^2

q = n * e

e = 1.602 * 10^-19 C

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused. It gives me two radius's. So how do I start this problem. Hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're supposed to find the total charge, and you're given the density function p, so go integrate!

What do you mean by integrate, do you mean I shall take the derivative.

afcwestwarrior said:

Homework Equations

Density = mass / volume

or p = mass / volume

volume of a sphere (3/4) * pi * r^2

Coulumb's law: F= k * (Q1 * Q2)/r^2

F = m*a

K= 8.99 * 10^9 N* m^2/C^2

q = n * e

e = 1.602 * 10^-19 C

None of these equations are relevant here. Instead of listing every equation from your formula sheet, you might try looking up the term "charge density" since you don't seem to understand what it means.

Homework Statement

...The volume charge density p is the charge per unit volume, with the unit coulumb per cubic meter...

Using this definition, if I gave you an infinitesimally small piece of material, with charge density [itex]\rho[/itex] and volume [itex]dV[/itex], could you tell me the amount of charge [itex]dq[/itex] enclosed in that volume?

You should, of course, be able to say immediately that the amount of charge is given by [itex]dq=\rho dV[/itex].

Your shell is made up of a whole bunch of little pieces of charge just like this, and so to find the total charge enclosed in its volume so simply add them all up, or integrate:

[tex]Q=\int\rho dV[/tex]

Ok, so I have to integrate it. Yea I'm barely learning this stuff, and it's confusing when you apply calculus to physics.

So it becomes Q= p * v

Because p is constant and the antiderivative of DV is V.

afcwestwarrior said:
So it becomes Q= p * v

Because p is constant and the antiderivative of DV is V.

Ermmm...*cough* *cough*...

afcwestwarrior said:
... has charge spread nonuniformly through its volume... For this shell p = b/r, r is the distance in meters from the center of the shell and b = 3.0µ C/ m^2.

That doesn't sound much to me like [itex]\rho[/itex] is constant in this case:wink:

So it becomes Q = (p^2) /2 * V

afcwestwarrior said:
So it becomes Q = (p^2) /2 * V

No, the integral [itex]V\int\rho d\rho[/itex] would equal that...but that's not what you are trying to calculate.

You need to express the volume element [itex]dV[/itex] in spherical coordinates...do you know how to do that?

Yea I do, but I'm very rusty on it. Ouch.

afcwestwarrior said:
Yea I do, but I'm very rusty on it. Ouch.

Try a little elbow grease to get the rust off then.:wink:

Thanks man for the help.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law apply to a shell?

Coulomb's Law applies to a shell by determining the net charge of the shell based on the distribution of charge on the surface. The net charge of a shell is equal to the sum of the individual charges on each point of the shell's surface.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does distance affect Coulomb's Law?

Distance plays a significant role in Coulomb's Law. As the distance between two charged particles increases, the force between them decreases. This follows the inverse square law, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

5. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant in Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's constant, represented by the letter k, is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charged particles to their charges and the distance between them. It has a value of 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2 and is an important factor in calculating the strength of the electrostatic force.