1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counterexample for a premeasure on a semiring over Q

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]\alpha(r)=r[/tex] and let [tex]P[/tex] be the family of intervals [tex][a,b)[/tex] in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. Define [tex]\mu_{\alpha}([a,b))=\alpha(b)-\alpha(a)[/tex]. Show by example that [tex]\mu_{\alpha}[/tex] is not countably additive.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\mu[/tex] is countably additive if for any sequence of mutually disjoint subsets [tex]E_1, E_2, ...[/tex] such that [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}E_i\in P[/tex], we have [tex]\mu\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}E_i\right)=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\mu(E_i)[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    This problem is driving me insane. I know I have to somehow use the incompleteness of the rationals, so I tried to use sequences which I know do not converge in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. For example, I tried defining [tex]x_{n+1}=x_n + 1/n^2[/tex] and [tex]E_n=[x_n,x_{n+1})[/tex], where [tex]x_1=0[/tex]. Then [tex]\mu(E_n)=1/n^2[/tex], so [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\mu(E_i)=\pi^2/6[/tex], which is not in [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex]. But this does not work because [tex]\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}E_i=[0,\pi^2/6)\notin P[/tex].

Basically I keep running into two problems. Either this happens, or I find a sequence whose union is in [tex]P[/tex] but [tex]\mu[/tex] is countably additive. Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2
    The hint is that you need to use not only the incompleteness of the rationals, but also the fact that they have measure zero. That is, for every epsilon>0, it is possible to cover Q by countably many intervals s.t the sum of their lengths is less than epsilon. That's because Q is countable. Thus, these intervals will have union [0,1)[tex]\cap[/tex]Q, but the sum of their measures will be as small as you like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook