Couple on rod in electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a couple and its relationship to the resultant force and torque on a rod in a non-uniform field. The forces are not equal in a couple, and the resultant force can be non-zero while the torque is zero. The question being discussed is not worded correctly and it is important to specify that the forces act through the mass center. A torque always implies a couple, which consists of two forces of equal magnitude but opposite direction.
PhysicStud01

Homework Statement

pic.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

THe answer given is B.
I can understand why the resultant force is not zero as the field is not uniform. but for a couple, shouldn't the forces be equal. so how can B be correct?

also, at some point, the rod will be horizontal. won't the resultant force be non-zero and act horizontally while the torque is zero. the rod would stay horizontal?

can someone help if I'm misunderstanding something

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicStud01 said:
I can understand why the resultant force is not zero as the field is not uniform. but for a couple, shouldn't the forces be equal. so how can B be correct?

also, at some point, the rod will be horizontal. won't the resultant force be non-zero and act horizontally while the torque is zero. the rod would stay horizontal?
The forces are certainly not equal. Where lines of force are closer together, the field is stronger.
However, I don't see an easy way to prove there is a couple about the mass centre of the rod.

haruspex said:
The forces are certainly not equal. Where lines of force are closer together, the field is stronger.
However, I don't see an easy way to prove there is a couple about the mass centre of the rod.
the only situation where I think the forces are equal is when it is vertical, but then the resultant force is zero even if there's a couple, right?

PhysicStud01 said:
the only situation where I think the forces are equal is when it is vertical, but then the resultant force is zero even if there's a couple, right?
There would certainly be no torque if the centre of the rod is perpendicular to the field (at that point). But there would still be a net force.

haruspex said:
There would certainly be no torque if the centre of the rod is perpendicular to the field (at that point). But there would still be a net force.
is it not the reverse? when the rod is vertical? the forces are equal and oppostite, so the net force is zero. but torque would be present right? the forces act at the end of the rod?

PhysicStud01 said:
is it not the reverse? when the rod is vertical? the forces are equal and oppostite, so the net force is zero. but torque would be present right? the forces act at the end of the rod?
Whoops - didn't notice the opposite charges. Sorry about that.

So let me correct my answer... with the rod 'vertical' (I'd still rather describe it as perpendicular to the field at the rod's midpoint) there is a net force, but not in the direction you may be thinking of.

haruspex said:
So let me correct my answer... with the rod 'vertical' (I'd still rather describe it as perpendicular to the field at the rod's midpoint) there is a net force, but not in the direction you may be thinking of.
yewah, when i looked again, the directions are not exactly opposite.
so, anything about the couple. the answers actually say couple, not moment or torque. is there a difference?

i thought that the answer given may be wrong, but the same answer is given as the correct one elsewhere.

PhysicStud01 said:
yewah, when i looked again, the directions are not exactly opposite.
so, anything about the couple. the answers actually say couple, not moment or torque. is there a difference?

i thought that the answer given may be wrong, but the same answer is given as the correct one elsewhere.
You mean, back at the original question, right?
The question is not worded correctly.
The net of any system of forces acting on an object can be represented as the combination of a force through the mass centre and a couple.
If the force is nonzero then it is always possible to represent this pair by a single force that does not necessarily pass through the mass centre. Therefore the question ought to specify forces that act through the mass centre.
It is clear there is a net force because the two individual forces are not collinear. They are also different in magnitude, which is also enough in itself to ensure there is a net force.
There must be a net torque about the mass centre because the two forces act in the same sense about it. It follows that if the forces are represented as a force through the mass centre and a couple then the couple is nonzero.

haruspex said:
You mean, back at the original question, right?
The question is not worded correctly.
The net of any system of forces acting on an object can be represented as the combination of a force through the mass centre and a couple.
If the force is nonzero then it is always possible to represent this pair by a single force that does not necessarily pass through the mass centre. Therefore the question ought to specify forces that act through the mass centre.
It is clear there is a net force because the two individual forces are not collinear. They are also different in magnitude, which is also enough in itself to ensure there is a net force.
There must be a net torque about the mass centre because the two forces act in the same sense about it. It follows that if the forces are represented as a force through the mass centre and a couple then the couple is nonzero.
could you be a bit clearer please? because i read it and could not clearly understand some of them.
specially:

and
There must be a net torque about the mass centre because the two forces act in the same sense about it. It follows that if the forces are represented as a force through the mass centre and a couple then the couple is nonzero.does a torque always imply a couple? a couple consists of 2 forces of equal magnitudes, right?

can someone please explain how there's a couple here

First, let me correct one statement:
haruspex said:
If the force is nonzero then it is always possible to represent this pair by a single force that does not necessarily pass through the mass centre.
I was thinking only of 2D systems, as in this case. In general:
If the force is nonzero and the net torque is perpendicular to the net force then it is always possible to represent this pair by a single force that does not necessarily pass through the mass centre.​
E.g. if we consider two equal forces at right angles but not passing through a common point, the resultant linear force and the resultant torque are parallel.

You asked me to elaborate on this:
Suppose the forces Fi act on an object, with the line of action of force Fi being displaced by vector Ri from the object's mass centre.
The net force ##F = \Sigma F_i##, and the net torque about the mass centre is ##T = \Sigma F_i \times R_i##.
If we choose the line of action of F to be through the mass centre then it has no torque about the mass centre, so the system of forces is completely represented by the combination of F and T.
PhysicStud01 said:
does a torque always imply a couple? a couple consists of 2 forces of equal magnitudes, right?
The pure torque component, T, can be represented as a couple: If C is any vector at right angles to T, and D is at right angles to both (e.g. D = C x T) then we can represent T as the combination of two forces kC, -kC with lines of action displaced by vectors +D , -D from the mass centre. ##T = 2kC\times D##.

If instead we choose the line of action of F to be displaced by R from the mass centre then it produces torque ##F \times R##. The remaining torque to represent the original system is ##T-F \times R = \Sigma F_i \times R_i - \Sigma F_i \times R = \Sigma F_i\times(R_i-R)##.
If T is orthogonal to F and F is nonzero then ##(T \times F)\times F## is a vector parallel to T. Setting ##R = kT \times F## for some suitable k we get ##T-F \times R = 0##, so we can represent the entire system of forces by a single force, maybe offset from the mass centre.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resultant_force, though I don't think the explanation there is great.

thanks. but is there any simpler reasoning to this?

PhysicStud01 said:
thanks. but is there any simpler reasoning to this?
I can't offer a simpler explanation (maybe others can), but perhaps you're a bit confused by the teminology.
The torque due to a force depends on your reference point. If it's a point in the line of action of the force then the torque is zero.
Similarly, the net torque of a set of forces generally depends on the reference point, but there is an interesting special case. If the vector sum of the forces is zero then the torque is independent of reference point. This may be referred to as a pure torque, or sometimes as a "screw". The simplest example is an equal and opposite pair of forces with different lines of action (so antiparallel). This is referred to as a couple.
I was taught the memorable fact that "every couple reduces to a screw".
For an unequal pair of parallel forces, you can always represent the resultant by a single force that has the same net torque about every reference point. (See if you can calculate how to do that.). For intersecting forces, obviously the net force through their point of intersection is equivalent.
But in three dimensions there is a third possibility, forces that act along "skew lines in space", neither parallel nor intersecting. If equal in magnitude, these are equivalent to a linear force (halfway between the lines of action) plus a screw parallel to it. Think, the forces exerted on a screwdriver, pushing and turning at the same time.

ok. let's forget about the 3d case.

how does that apply in this specific question. how do I then represent the couple of forces on the rod? are they the components of forces at +Q and -Q? I believe that what you mention above are actually mathematical theories of vectors? but how to interpret it in this physical example (in the question)?thanks

PhysicStud01 said:
ok. let's forget about the 3d case.

how does that apply in this specific question. how do I then represent the couple of forces on the rod? are they the components of forces at +Q and -Q? I believe that what you mention above are actually mathematical theories of vectors? but how to interpret it in this physical example (in the question)?thanks
In this specific question, there are two forces, unequal in magnitude. Consequently the net linear force (vector sum), F, is nonzero.
They are coplanar but not parallel. Consequently their lines of action intersect. The net force must be completely equivalent to F acting through that point of intersection. There is no need to add a couple.
However, if we require to express the resultant of the forces as F through the mass centre plus a screw (couple, if you prefer) as necessary then consider the midpoint of the rod. Each of the contributing forces has a clockwise moment about that point, so it will be necessary to add a clockwise screw.

haruspex said:
In this specific question, there are two forces, unequal in magnitude. Consequently the net linear force (vector sum), F, is nonzero.
They are coplanar but not parallel. Consequently their lines of action intersect. The net force must be completely equivalent to F acting through that point of intersection. There is no need to add a couple.
However, if we require to express the resultant of the forces as F through the mass centre plus a screw (couple, if you prefer) as necessary then consider the midpoint of the rod. Each of the contributing forces has a clockwise moment about that point, so it will be necessary to add a clockwise screw.
so, I need to consider the resultant force at the centre of the rod, not the individual forces at the ends? it's not a gravitational field - in which case the force can be considered to act at the centre. but it's an electric force, right, which acts on charges?

Also, for a couple, should the magnitudes of the forces be equal and the forces antiparallel, which are not the case here?

PhysicStud01 said:
so, I need to consider the resultant force at the centre of the rod, not the individual forces at the ends?
The question does not say that you should consider the resultant linear force as acting through the mass centre, but unless you take that view you cannot arrive at answer B. (I consider the question poorly worded, but I can see where it's coming from. What they're really asking is whether the rod will both move as a whole and rotate.)
PhysicStud01 said:
for a couple, should the magnitudes of the forces be equal and the forces antiparallel,
For the answer to be a couple (and no linear force) the two forces would need to be antiparallel and equal in magnitude.

haruspex said:
The question does not say that you should consider the resultant linear force as acting through the mass centre, but unless you take that view you cannot arrive at answer B. (I consider the question poorly worded, but I can see where it's coming from. What they're really asking is whether the rod will both move as a whole and rotate.)

For the answer to be a couple (and no linear force) the two forces would need to be antiparallel and equal in magnitude.
but then, is answer B truly correct, or is A more likely

PhysicStud01 said:
but then, is answer B truly correct, or is A more likely
The correct answer is that it can be represented as a single linear force with no couple, but it can also be represented by a linear force (vectorially the same, but different line of action) plus a couple.

1. What is the concept behind a couple on a rod in an electric field?

The concept behind a couple on a rod in an electric field is the interaction between a charged rod and an external electric field. When a charged rod is placed in an electric field, it experiences a force that causes it to rotate. This rotation creates a torque, or a turning force, that results in a couple on the rod.

2. How is the strength of the couple on the rod determined?

The strength of the couple on the rod is determined by the magnitude of the charges on the rod and the strength of the external electric field. The larger the charges on the rod and the stronger the electric field, the greater the strength of the couple.

3. What is the relationship between the direction of the couple and the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the couple is always perpendicular to the direction of the electric field. This means that the rod will rotate in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the electric field.

4. How does the length of the rod affect the couple on it?

The length of the rod does not affect the couple on it in a uniform electric field. However, in a non-uniform electric field, the length of the rod can impact the distribution of charges on the rod, which can then affect the strength and direction of the couple.

5. Can the couple on a rod in an electric field be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the couple on a rod in an electric field can be controlled and manipulated by adjusting the strength and direction of the external electric field. This can be achieved by changing the distance between the rod and the source of the electric field or by altering the charges on the rod.