Covariant and contravariant analysis

In summary: Overall, I think the chain rule should be easy to remember: the chain rule for partial derivatives states that if you have two vectors, and you want to know the change in the vector between two points, you just take the change in the first vector and multiply it by the change in the second vector.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Can someone explain/help me prove the formulas
[tex] \vec{e_a}' = \frac{ \partial{x^b}}{\partial x'^a} \vec{e_b} [/tex]

[tex] \vec{e^a}' = \frac{ \partial{x'^a}}{\partial x^b} \vec{e^b} [/tex]

I do not understand why the partial derivative flip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give you 2 hints: 1. What is a coordinate basis ? 2. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives ?

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, this is essentially a definition of what we mean by covariant and contravariant indices (sometimes people start from the components of a covariant or contravariant vector instead of the basis vectors in which case the transformations are the opposite of the ones given here)

My book defines the coordinate basis vector at a point P as follows:

[tex] \vec{e}_a = lim_{\delta x^a \to 0} \frac{ \delta \vec{s}}{\delta x^a} [/tex]

where delta s is the infinitesimal vector displacement between P and a nearby point Q whose coordinate separation from P is delta x^a.

I think you must be referring to perhaps a more useful definition!

ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

A vector V is a geometrical object, that can be written in a coordinate basis as
[tex]V=v^{a}e_{a}[/tex]
where [tex]e_{a}[/tex] are basis vectors (I'm giving them a lower index). The [tex]v^{a}[/tex] are the coefficient functions of the vector. As a geometrical object, V cannot care about what coordinate basis you have chosen, so under changes of bases it must be left unchanged. So if the coefficient functions transform as
[tex]v^{a}(x')=\frac{\partial x^{a}}{\partial x'^{b}}v^{b}(x)[/tex] the basis vectors must transform as
[tex]e_{a}(x')=\frac{\partial x'^{c}}{\partial x^{a}}e_{c}(x)[/tex]
since
[tex]\frac{\partial x'^{c}}{\partial x^{a}}\frac{\partial x^{a}}{\partial x'^{b}}=\delta^{c}_{b}[/tex]
implies that
[tex]V=v^{a}(x')e_{a}(x')=v^{b}(x)e_{b}(x)=V[/tex].

Similar arguments go for co-vectors [tex]W=w_{a}e^{a}[/tex]
where [tex]e^{a}[/tex] are a basis of co-vectors (also known as 1-forms) contracted with their coefficient functions. The location of the index on all these objects determines the form of the transformation. Note: There is confusion in the literature regarding the names covariant and contravariant as applies to upper vs. lower index objects (e.g. there are generally opposite naming conventions between maths and physics).

Last edited:
OK. I see why the basis case holds. But for the dual basis case, we then need that:

[tex] \frac{\partial x_a}{\partial x'_b} = \frac{\partial x'^b}{\partial x^a} [/tex]

which is what I do not understand?

Related to Covariant and contravariant analysis

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant analysis?

Covariant and contravariant analysis are two mathematical approaches used in physics and other scientific fields to describe the relationship between different physical quantities. In covariant analysis, the coordinates and basis vectors are allowed to vary, while the basis vectors remain constant in contravariant analysis. This means that the components of a vector will transform differently under these two approaches.

2. What is meant by the term "covariant transformation"?

A covariant transformation refers to a transformation between different coordinate systems in which the basis vectors at each point are allowed to vary. This type of transformation is commonly used in general relativity, where the curvature of spacetime means that the basis vectors vary from point to point.

3. How is contravariant analysis used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, contravariant analysis is used to describe the transformation of wavefunctions under a change of basis. By using contravariant analysis, we can determine how the components of a wavefunction will change when we switch to a different set of basis vectors.

4. Can you give an example of a covariant quantity?

One example of a covariant quantity is the metric tensor in general relativity. This tensor describes the curvature of spacetime and is expressed in terms of the basis vectors at each point, which can vary from point to point. As such, it is a covariant quantity that transforms differently under different coordinate systems.

5. Why are both covariant and contravariant analysis important in physics?

Both covariant and contravariant analysis are important in physics because they allow us to describe the relationships between physical quantities in different coordinate systems. This is particularly important in fields such as general relativity, where the curvature of spacetime means that the basis vectors can vary from point to point. By using both approaches, we can accurately describe the behavior of physical systems in different coordinate systems.