Covariant and contravariant vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of contravariant and covariant vectors, with a request for help in understanding them and a demonstration of the derivation of dr=(dr/dx)dx + (dr/dy)dy + (dr/dz)dz. The conversation also provides additional resources for further understanding.
Shan K
Will anyone help me to under stand the covariant and contravariant vector ? And can anyone show me the derivation of
dr=(dr/dx)dx + (dr/dy)dy + (dr/dz)dz

Physics news on Phys.org
Shan K said:
Will anyone help me to under stand the covariant and contravariant vector ? And can anyone show me the derivation of

The last, at least, is just the "chain rule" from Calculus. Suppose r is a function of x, y, and z and they, themselves, depend on the parameter t. We can think of r as, perhaps, the radius of curvature of a surface defined by x, y, and z, and (x(t), y(t), z(t)) as the trajectory of an object moving over that surface. Of course, then we can think of r(t)= r(x(t), y(t), z(t)) as giving the
radius of curvature at each point along that trajectory.

By the chain rule,
[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}= \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\frac{dyz}{dt}+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}[/tex]

In terms or "differentials" we can write
[tex]dr= \left(\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}\right)dt= \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt}dt+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dt}dt+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dt}dt[/tex]
[tex]dr= \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}dx+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial y}dy+ \frac{\partial r}{\partial z}dz[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shan K said:

Do a search, this comes up quite frequently. There are some excellent explanations in the Linear Algebra forum.

cosmik debris said:
Do a search, this comes up quite frequently. There are some excellent explanations in the Linear Algebra forum.

Yeah, as Cosmik Debris has stated, this topic really does come up a lot. I would recommend also searching the "Special and General Relativity" subforum as well as "Topology/Differential Geometry". Really you are looking for any area where generalized curvilinear coordinate representations (as opposed to just straight cartesian coordinates - 'x', 'y', and 'z') are regularly used. That's kind of the field when this stuff gets taught, the study of generalized curvilinear coordinate systems (this subject also might be worth a wikipedia search for the OP.)

Also, recently I remember making this post to explain the meaning of a dual vector (also known as a covariant vector or a 1-form. 1-forms and "vectors" are the modern terminology taught in differential geometry for covariant and contravariant vectors respectively. Not to confuse you, but both satisfy the properties for a vector space as taught in abstract algebra, but in the modern terminology only one gets the distinction of being associated with the terminology, "vector" heh): https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4057781#post4057781

I think that's about as simple an explanation on the differences (and necessities) of contravariant and covariant vectors as you'll find.

And as Halls said the other thing you mentioned is just a chain rule from calculus that looks slightly weird but does come up quite a bit.

1. What is the difference between covariant and contravariant vectors?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are two types of vectors used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry. The main difference between them is in how they transform under coordinate transformations. A covariant vector changes its components when the coordinate system is changed, while a contravariant vector keeps its components the same and changes its basis vectors.

2. How are covariant and contravariant vectors related?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are related through the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between the basis vectors of a coordinate system. The metric tensor is used to convert between covariant and contravariant vectors, allowing for calculations to be done in either coordinate system.

3. Can covariant and contravariant vectors be represented graphically?

Yes, covariant and contravariant vectors can be represented graphically using a coordinate system. A covariant vector can be visualized as a set of arrows pointing in the direction of the basis vectors, while a contravariant vector can be represented as a set of arrows pointing in the opposite direction of the basis vectors.

4. What are some real-world applications of covariant and contravariant vectors?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in the study of curved spaces, such as in general relativity, where the metric tensor is used to define the curvature of spacetime.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions on using covariant and contravariant vectors?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are only applicable in coordinate systems that have a metric tensor defined. In addition, they are only defined in vector spaces that have a notion of distance and angle, such as Euclidean spaces. They also have certain transformation properties that must be considered in order to use them accurately in calculations.