Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of contravariant and covariant vectors

1. Apr 25, 2014 #1
    Can someone explain why the derivative with respect to a contravariant coordinate transforms as a
    covariant 4-vector and the derivative with respect to a covariant coordinate transforms as a
    contravariant 4-vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Take a scalar field. Then its differential is
    [tex]\mathrm{d} \phi=\mathrm{d} x^{\mu} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^{\mu}}[/tex]
    is also a scalar. Thus, since [itex]\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}[/itex] transforms contravariantly the four-gradient must transform covariantly, i.e., the correct notation is
    [tex]\mathrm{d} \phi=\mathrm{d} x^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \phi.[/tex]
    In the same way you can show that deriving with respect to the covariant components leads to a contravariant object.

4. Apr 25, 2014 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The title says "Derivatives of contravariant and covariant vectors," which would be stuff like [itex]\nabla_a v_b[/itex] versus [itex]\nabla_a v^b[/itex]. But #1 seems to be talking about [itex]\nabla_a v_b[/itex] versus [itex]\nabla^a v_b[/itex] , and #2 seems to be talking about the gradient of a scalar, [itex]\nabla_a\phi[/itex] versus [itex]\nabla^a\phi[/itex]. Which are we really talking about here?

Not to be too pedantic, but we also don't have contravariant coordinates and covariant coordinates. Coordinates are always upper-index, and an ntuple of coordinates is not a vector or covector (at least not in GR). An infinitesimal *change* in the coordinates is an upper-index vector.

Assuming that the question is really the one posed in #1, then an easy way to see this is in terms of scaling. For example, suppose you change your units from meters to centimeters. All of your coordinates (which are upper-index quantities) get bigger by a factor of 100. Now suppose you have a scalar such as the electrical potential, and you take a gradient in order to find the electric field. The electric field is *smaller* in units of V/cm than it is in units of V/m. So the coordinates transform in one way under scaling, while a gradient transforms in the opposite way. This is what we expect for covariant quantities compared to contravariant ones.

5. Apr 25, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry, I thought the question is about special relativity.

6. Apr 26, 2014 #5
    Thanks for your responses. I think my question should really have asked about the 4-gradient in SR.

μ = ∂/xμ = [∂/∂t, ∇]

and

μ = ∂/xμ = [∂/∂t, -∇]

c = 1

So in these cases the indeces are just telling you that there is a change of sign in the spatial
    coordinates. What I don't understand is how the process of taking the derivative of the contravariant components results in a covariant vector and vice versa.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook