Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
jack action said:
Cover By Depeche Mode - Beatmasters Remix :
Ok, that was... weird. Kind of awesome at the same time, though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JT Smith said:
What's the trick to make videos available for viewing on PF?
if you click on once says it will not play then again and it takes you to YT
 
JT Smith said:
What's the trick to make videos available for viewing on PF?
You can't. It's the video's owner who decides (usually for copyright reasons):
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/171780?hl=en-GB&sjid=15885605353325403930-NA#zippy=%2Cturn-off-embedding-for-your-videos said:
Turn off embedding for your videos

If you've uploaded a video and don't want to allow others to embed your video on external sites, follow these steps:

[...]
 
jack action said:
You can't. It's the video's owner who decides (usually for copyright reasons):
It's not copyright. I guess they want you to see Youtube's video recommendations and comments, get more engaged.

(I could tell you more than you would care to know about Youtube's copyright policies.)
 
I love Steve Brodersun's singing.



I'd never have the patience to fiddle with the knobs long enough to match the exact sound of the original. Good for them for doing all that work.
 
Jon Anderson used to be such a good poet. Nowadays his lyrics are New Age lectures. This was the start of that.



Another Andrei Cerbu production. The guy's talented.

I always heard it as "owner of a '63 Dodge Dart."

Chris Squire's bass playing went from maximal there to minimal here. Why not.
 
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
It's not copyright. I guess they want you to see Youtube's video recommendations and comments, get more engaged.

(I could tell you more than you would care to know about Youtube's copyright policies.)

My guess is it's about revenue. When I clicked through to youtube I was delivered an ad prior the video. If you embed a video here that doesn't generate revenue / doesn't have ads I'll bet it would play here. Am I right or wrong?

Let's see... I think this cover of Possum Kingdom fits that category:



Oh well, so much for that theory.
(and the singer is terrible)
 
Raunchy original by Bill Justis.
 
(More 80s rock)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Tell_Me_You_Love_Me
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Ranger


(1982) Night Ranger - Don't Tell Me You Love Me (SUPERSCALED TO 4K) 🇺🇸
solo @t=2m00s

see also (1983) Night Ranger - Japan Tour 1983 - Don't Tell Me You Love Me - solo @t=2m00s
and (2023) Night Ranger “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me” (Live on 40th Anniversary Tour in St Louis Mo 06-28-2023) - solo @t=2m00s



(2018) Sakura Yoshida - Don't Tell Me You Love Me / NIGHT RANGER
solo &t=2m00s


(2012) SATSUMA3042 - PLAY LOUD☆Don't tell me you love me
solo &t=2m00s
( SATSUMA3042 has many covers with focus on the fretboard, filmed in his restaurant )


(2017) Bad Habitz Don't Tell me You Love Me-cover
solo &t=2m00s


(2019) Irrashional - Don't Tell Me You Love Me (LIVE Cover) | Irrashional
solo @t=3m00s
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
Usually, I think cover versions of my favorite songs are rubbish. But,...

ain't bad.

Here's the original:

It's very hard to surpass Mike Oldfield's masterful guitar work.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: difalcojr and pinball1970
Larkin Poe covers Tom Petty's American Girl

 

【English Cover】Seraphim On The Ring/リングの熾天使 【Saki + Lunarveil】​




There really are guys who hand out leaflets offering sleazy employment. There are even big floats mounted on flatbed sound trucks doing the same, driving around areas where young people gather.

I saw some Japanese pro wrestling at a jocular heavy metal festival called Skull Mania. They did all of this stuff. It's all quite stylized. I attended to see Bandmaid. They were so embarrassed to appear there they didn't advertise the gig on their web site. There was a young J woman in a business suit and pumps with a big smile playing the organ part of Deep Purple's Highway Star. There is a van sold in Japan named the Highway Star.
 
Last edited:
Frabjous said:

Now that's Grade A.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous and pinball1970
Kim Gun Mo's massive hit Wrongful Meeting.



Cover by Ayumi. These sort of elaborate sets with dance are typical of east Asian TV. Song and dance are so important there that in recent Indonesian presidential election rallies candidate Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono sang while incumbent Megawati danced. Bambang won.



It's impressive that Kim could hit such high notes. In a subsequent TV appearance he seems to have lost this ability but the song was so popular he just let the audience sing those parts. Last week Mick Jagger did the same with Out Of Time.
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Hornbein said:
Kim Gun Mo's massive hit Wrongful Meeting.
There are dangerous levels of melodrama radiating off that song. I see why it was a hit, though - I keep humming it because I don't understand the words.
 
This ebass player is phenomenal.

(Queen Fox) Bass Remix|Raon×MINA​


 
robphy said:


Cliffs of Dover Solo Intro Cover - Emmy Barone


Cliffs Of Dover - Eric Johnson - Cover by YOYO


Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover (FENDER 70TH ANNIVERSARY) - Izzyful

(see also Izzyful | Cliffs of Dover | Fender American Professional II Stratocaster | Guitarnet )

Cliffs Of Dover - Eric Johnson Guitar Cover By Juliana Wilson


CLIFFS OF DOVER - Eric Johnson | Guitar Cover by Sophie Burrell


Nili Brosh Plays Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson (Full Cover!)