Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
aaaannddd another...

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Arjan82 said:
(another) case in point:

Pomplamoose is Portuguese for grapefruit.
 
Frabjous said:
Ocarina?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina

It also used here.



The non-standard sounds makes me wonder how the vocal score is written down.

This version is pure magic.

The vocals can be notated with not much problem I would have thought. They are still notes with a time associated. I think the only difference would be the vowels and whatever they put in brackets "spoken" or "shouted" even, ff!

The Ocarina line tails off at end of of a few of the phrases, can be denoted with a glissando.

I listened to the guitar part and it is much more treble in the original.

 
Dead Flowers
- Dubh Lee
 
Arjan82 said:
(another) case in point:

These are clever but not my thing. I think Ozzy Crazy train and Earth Wind and fire scarred me!
 
This guy is a fantastic pianist and puts out great little pieces, however he has a new baby to deal with.
This video is different to his usual stuff.

My favourite part is 0.52 in, the harmonies after "breaking young girls hearts.

Anyway

 
Another from F&F

 
Hornbein said:
Dead Flowers
- Dubh Lee

I like her!

 
Videos of covers of Paul Gilbert's ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gilbert ) work
with Amusing / Possibly distracting features
... followed by Paul Gilbert's 2023 announcement of his covers of songs by Ronnie James Dio.


This cover is marred by a very unenthusiastic keyboard player...
Polina Sedova - Fuzz Universe (Paul Gilbert cover)

- Paul Gilbert - Fuzz Universe (live: Colgone 2010)

This cover features an enthusiastic background dancer
Viking Kong - Paul Gilbert | Cesario Filho

- Paul Gilbert - Viking Kong (led off with his motivation for the song)

This cover features a 14 year old with amusing facial expressions.
Racer X — Scarified (Max Ostro cover 2018!)

- Paul Gilbert - Scarified


Paul Gilbert - Announcing The Dio Album! [2023]
( https://www.paulgilbert.com/ - YouTube playlist of the Dio Album )
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and jack action
. A Thai band
 
Last edited:
Siam Square, Bangkok. Used to teach English/algebra there. Sure do like that (retro) frequency
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
Dancing In The Street

Orig


 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Point Conception, robphy and pinball1970
DennisN said:
I recently stumbled upon an impressive cover of ABBAs awesome song "Lay All Your Love On Me"...

DennisN said:
Oh, by the way, I heard this cover yesterday... U2 covers ABBA:s SOS

Here is another ABBA cover I heard recently which I very much enjoyed:

(Why ABBA again? Well, I've been listening to ABBA covers on youtube recently because I haven't heard so many covers of them... and I thought it was interesting to hear interpretations, and particularly, good interpretations IMO)

This one is majestic, unusual and spot on in my opinion, since there I think there is a classical feel in the original even though it's in disco style.

The choir intro is simply gorgeous and sends shivers down my spine... and the bridge and chorus are great too (though I personally don't like the arrangement in the verse as much, but hey, it's subjective...).

Lay All Your Love on Me - "MUSICAL!" - Chansonchor Gymnasium Kirchenfeld 2019
"Aus dem Musical "Mamma Mia"
Musik und Text: Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus
Arrangement & Leitung: Ben Vatter"




Edit, oh I forgot to link to the original...

Original: ABBA - Lay All Your Love On Me
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Since_You_Been_Gone


[1976] Russ Ballard - Since You've Been Gone (Supersonic, 1976) FAMILIAR ???



[1978] Head East - Since You Been Gone
(2014) Head East - Since You've Been Gone - Live @ Ribco



[1979] Rainbow [with Graham Bonnet]- Since You've Been Gone



[1984] Since You've Been Gone | Alcatrazz [with Graham Bonnet and Yngwie Malmsteen] 1984



[2018] Since You've Been Gone - Rainbow (Alyona & Andrei Cerbu) ( good covers )



[2022] SINCE YOU BEEN GONE (Rainbow) Band Cover by KNULP ( good covers - plays multiple instruments, with solos )



Honorable mention:
[2022] Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott - Since You've Been Gone (Cover)
 
Last edited:
Up From The Skies

jimi hendrix (Mitch Mitchell : great)



Rickie Lee Jones
 
Last edited: