Coversation starters awkward silence

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date

Evo

Mentor
tribdog said:
Take me for example do you realize how often I start threads that are completely worthless. I started one the other day saying my bum itched. And people responded.
Because people care about you, and/or are bored and will respond to anything. :wink:

Exactly!
and people everywhere care or are bored and will respond to anything. That's why I say the important thing isn't what you say, but that you say anything at all.

This always breaks the ice: lets shag! :wink:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My experience has been that people lo-o-ove to talk about themselves. (hey- me included!) If you want to get a conversation going, that's the best topic: the other person. What are their interests, what are their goals, where are they from, etc. If you can get the other person talking about him/herself, you don't have to do a thing.

Math Is Hard said:
My experience has been that people lo-o-ove to talk about themselves. (hey- me included!) If you want to get a conversation going, that's the best topic: the other person. What are their interests, what are their goals, where are they from, etc. If you can get the other person talking about him/herself, you don't have to do a thing.
Well, personally, if someone asks me to describe myself I always come up with a blank. But, as Dale Carnegie said, "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lesson Two

OK, photon, you've read all the advice now, but I think it's time to move from theory to application.
Now, let's pretend I'm a young lady (I HEARD that, you guys - quit laughin'! :grumpy: ) at your school. You come up to me and say,
"Hey."
I say, "Hey." and then look down at my shoes. :shy:

Your move. What do you say? (Just throw something out there and we'll give you feedback.)

So, i haven't talked to you in a while...

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ok, I think that's good, BUT there's almost an implication there, like maybe she should feel guilty because she hasn't been around or hasn't talked to you. (But I over read things). Also, you are using a statement vs. a question, which doesn't require conversational response. Maybe try something like, "Hey, I haven't seen you around. Classes keeping you busy? What are you taking right now?" note: Last sentence is interrogative requiring her to respond, so it can keep the conversation flowing.

Any others want to give feedback on this?

Last edited:
and she says, "Yeah, I usually see you coming and can duck behind a garbage can."

and she says, "Yeah, I usually see you coming and can duck behind a garbage can."
i hate you. :biggrin: (and i mean that in the best possible way.)

Math is Hard:
Okay, sounds good. I want to sound like I care. How can I make her laugh after this exchange? She thinks I'm a riot.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
She thinks you're a riot? Well, then it's half in the bag! I think what you're stressing about is this pressure to be funny all the time - and you don't have to be! Would you want to be around someone who is making jokes constantly? (no offense, trib) It's perfectly ok to have non-humorous conversations with her. Just ENGAGE her in conversation. Let the comedy follow naturally. You want her to like you for YOU, right? But your natural sense of humor is not all there is to what makes you special - you're also very intelligent, sincere, and kind. You should let her see all of your great qualities, not just one.

Great! So I just sort of talk, sounding like I care, (i do care) and try to relax and go with the flow? I can handle that. I'll do just that when I see her tommorrow. But now, I'm gonna hit the sack, so I'll post updates tommorow afternoon.

Later :wink:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
yes, if you are at ease, you'll put her at ease. Then things will get moving.
good night. good luck!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The following line worked well for me: Do you need help giving that enema to your patient?

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
The following line worked well for me: Do you need help giving that enema to your patient?
Is that how you met Tsu?? :rofl:
How romantic!!!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
We spent our first date moving mobile CAT Scanners and doing ER patients. :tongue2:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
We spent our first date moving mobile CAT Scanners and doing ER patients. :tongue2:
That is SO cute! I'm always complaining I never meet any guys at work. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
ok, I think that's good, BUT there's almost an implication there, like maybe she should feel guilty because she hasn't been around or hasn't talked to you. (But I over read things). Also, you are using a statement vs. a question, which doesn't require conversational response. Maybe try something like, "Hey, I haven't seen you around. Classes keeping you busy? What are you taking right now?" note: Last sentence is interrogative requiring her to respond, so it can keep the conversation flowing.

Any others want to give feedback on this?
So it's true, women analyze everything

P.S. Your all insane.

doing er patients? What the hell is "doing er patients?"
There are laws about that you know

Tribdog, ER stands for Emergency Room, so they were probably unconcious when they did them, thats OK

oh, if they were unconscious. nevermind

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
tribdog said:
It doesn't, but funny is easier. and funny is sexy. and if you are already laughing when you get dissed there is less danger of breaking down into tears.
He said awkwards silence, and not awkward moment of laughter.

It doesn't have to be funny right out of the blue all the damn time. If you try to hard to impress, you will find yourself stuck for the rest of your life.

I used to have difficulties, but I go over myself with stupid imagining bull****. Just talk and funny things come around. Your first line does not have be funny, since that may seem like you are trying to hard.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Smurf said:
So it's true, women analyze everything

P.S. Your all insane.
I analyze everything, but AFTER the event. Not so helpful, since you realize you are an idiot AFTER the event.

Math Is Hard said:
That is SO cute! I'm always complaining I never meet any guys at work. :biggrin:
All the girls I've met are from work. It makes it hard if they already have a boyfriend, however.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Smurf said:
So it's true, women analyze everything.
Not all women. That's a generalization. But I am definitely an over-analyzer, which probably has more to do with me being an analyst by profession than anything else. :smile:
Smurf said:
P.S. Your all insane.
Who are you calling insane? :confused: All women? Or all of the posters to this thread?
chrono said:
All the girls I've met are from work. It makes it hard if they already have a boyfriend, however.
All the guys I work with are married or gay. :cry: