Coversation starters awkward silence

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
Math Is Hard said:
All the guys I work with are married or gay. :cry:
But never both, not in America. It's against the law.

One question from me, what if the girl is significantly younger? I'm 18 and this girl is 14, very cute and I think very thoughtful in in intellectual way. I like her and when our mutual friends come chat me, she is with them but so quiet. Is she shy? Does she even like me?! (Not that I expect you to know, but does it sound that way?)

Don't be stupid. I'll call the cops on you myself. I better leave now because I'm already fighting with some lady in the duck post. I don't have the energy to handle this genius.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
tribdog said:
But never both, not in America. It's against the law.
Y'know, now I've changed my mind from thinking they should be allowed to get married, to thinking the should be forced to get married! That way, all I need to do is scan for wedding bands and don't keep wasting my time flirting with cute gay men. :grumpy:

enigma

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
tumor said:
This always breaks the ice: lets shag! :wink:
:rofl:

Nice shoes! Wanna *&$%?

:rofl:
Math Is Hard said:
I say, "Hey." and then look down at my shoes. :shy:
BWAHAHAHA

*runs and hides, dodging rotting tomatos the whole way*

Last edited:
theCandyman said:
One question from me, what if the girl is significantly younger? I'm 18 and this girl is 14, very cute and I think very thoughtful in in intellectual way. I like her and when our mutual friends come chat me, she is with them but so quiet. Is she shy? Does she even like me?! (Not that I expect you to know, but does it sound that way?)
Dude, I knew this girl who is 16 and I'm 20. Man, while it was slightly going on (never did ask her out, well I did, but she somehow got a boyfriend then) I just kept worrying if the age difference mattered.

Evo

Mentor
theCandyman said:
I suggest you read this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47887

Talk about how the government is spying on you using satellites. Offer her a tin foil hat.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
tribdog said:
Don't be stupid. I'll call the cops on you myself. I better leave now because I'm already fighting with some lady in the duck post. I don't have the energy to handle this genius.
hmm..there's just something very funny about the idea of tribdog fighting with a lady in a "duck" post. I gotta go look....
yep! FUNNY!!! :rofl:

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
We spent our first date moving mobile CAT Scanners and doing ER patients. :tongue2:
By the way, if anyone sees me after a bad car crash dying by the side of the road, please put a bullet in my head immediately. I really don't want to wake up in Ivan and Tsu's "Enema-mobile". :surprised

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
If you are 20 and can't pick up a 16 year old or 18 and can't pick up a 14 year old, that is sad.

Younger girls envy older guys. They try to act mature and normally they fool the dumb idiot male into thinking she's smart and what not.

Sad... :frown: Sad... :frown:

What to impress a girl?

Talk. This will work since you haven't talked before, and she will be an awe that you can speak.

Next. Try walking and talking.

I just wanna ask since i did onot know the laws back home yet:
I got the idea about over 18 going out with under 18, but if both under are 18..is that ok? Well, i guess it is not, but i just want to make sure...[ I spent most of my life living overseas...]

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
No it is not ok.

In Canada, age of consent is 14. They are trying to change it, but I disagree because that cuases problems for certain situations. Especially during this generation where the females want "it" just as much or more than the males, so why should the male pay the price and be forced to make the "right" decision, while the females can do what they want since we know that males are the only ones that will be looked down at and the only ones to pay for it.

Not fair. Too late to bring this into legislation. Everything is good right now, let's not mess it up with stupid charges because your dumb slutty daughter wants it.

JasonRox said:
If you are 20 and can't pick up a 16 year old or 18 and can't pick up a 14 year old, that is sad.
Dude, I can't help it if she'd rather date a loser.

Photon, just be yourself and genuine. Do not hide your feeling or pretend you are someone else.

Don't constantly try to be funny if you are not. Don't pretend that you don't fancy her if you don't. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. We all learn from our own mistakes. But we learn better from others'.

Guys guys guys [every body is listening? :uhh: ok i will continue...]

Lets go back to the main track...i think the "branch" that we opened we spoke aboutit enough, aren't we? [quickly as last thingy to add:JasonRex, I agree totally with you, even I am "too young" to drink alcohol by the law...and don't have daughters yet! You speak diamonds! :smile: ]

Well, I have a problem: I was going out with a girl when i was in UK at high school...but after i came here to U.S ...we are kind of " not talking that much" and I do not what the heck prevent us! She went back home to Holland... [Well, i was in international school..] and when i speak on the phone...usually comes up with a very very very classical lines [How are you? How was the last couple of days? How Uni is goin...etc? Yeah some funny thingys might happenes, but i am now really noticing that the style is "solid" cuz you know how much disadvantage you are in when you speak at the phone and mising punches of event cuz of the "distance"....the problem now is i want to continue..and i am suspecting now that the interest in our relationship becoming less! I am in NO-WAY thinknig of break-up from my side... how i can keep this odd situation going???

Any help...plz :biggrin:

screen your calls, don't call her back, tell her you died, burn her house down, kill her dog. then she'll be distraught with horror that she'll break up with you. Problem solved :biggrin:

No no no , this way i will ruined it up to the MAX! A reason of which she took my attention at the beginning is cuz she from the kind that this trickey thingys will not on her...she respect me so much..but i know really well that as she knows me that i will never kiss "shoes" even the consequence is bad...she will not do as well! [ at least i guess...and i do not want to risk once to see if i am wrong here!]

The situation is kinda odd, ruined up..i know , but i have hope always :biggrin: [ is the last part sounds like Hollywood-ic movie? Nay..]

All three of those posts were riddled with such bad grammar that i could not make sense of either of them. I'm so lost...

:confused: so am i.

Apologies, native speakers! :rolleyes:
Will simply to summerize last 3 thingy's up: That girl who i am going out with is now in another country from the one that i am in now..in the phone calls, there is not that much "lines" to speak..since it almost the same Q's and simialr A's as replies [How thingy's going? how is Uni? friend? Bla Bla Bla] The second voice advising if "not calling" for a period of time..but i think this will not help me, it might make thigny's even much worse...

Simply: Good pick-lines on the phone? With somebody you are seeing him now just in X-mas and summer holiday? I do not want to have boring conversions about "over talked" classical speeches on the phones..

Hope is it clear? [I am in a valley....and you are in another valley..i mean it in the best possible way :smile: ]

Last edited:

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Move on and at the same time keep in touch.

You would develop a much stronger relationship if you guys decided to meet up again.

By holding on this lame relationship (no offense), you are giving the image that you are worth **** and that you couldn't pick up **** in the country where you are. If I were dead ugly, I would hold on too, but I don't want to give the impression that I know I'm dead ugly or what not.

I am not saying you are ugly, but just simply stating the impression you MIGHT be giving.

If I were you, I'd split and have plans to meet up again. DON'T tell her about the plans. The next time you meet, the two of you will be all refreshed around each other rather than meeting up after 3 years of awkward telephone calls trying to keep it together. By no doubt, keep calling her for 3 years but open the doors for freedom and a better start in 3 years. This is your only shot at keeping her.

I'd suggest kidnapping her and keeping her in the basement. Only feed her if she's nice to you and you can see her whenever you like.

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Haven't heard from Photon in a while. Hope that's a GOOD thing!

tribdog said:
I'd suggest kidnapping her and keeping her in the basement. Only feed her if she's nice to you and you can see her whenever you like.
Sounds like what me and Jimmy need to do.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving