Optimizing Estimator Variance with Cramer-Rao Inequality

• Thread starter EnzoF61
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the variance of the unbiased estimator Var(\omega\overline{_}X1 +(1-\omega)\overline{_}X2) is minimized when \omega= n1 / (n1 + n2). To find this, we can write \overline{X_1} as a sum of independent and identically distributed RVs and use the property \mbox{Var}(\sum Y_i) = \sum \mbox{Var}(Y_1) as well as pulling out a constant becomes multiplying by the square of the constant. This allows us to show that \mbox{Var}(\overline{X_1}) = \frac{\sigma^2}{n_1}.
EnzoF61
If [tex]\overline{_}X1[/tex] and [tex]\overline{_}X2[/tex] are the means of independent random samples of size n1 and n2 from a normal population with the mean [tex]\mu[/tex] and [tex]\sigma^2[/tex], show that the variance of the unbiased estimator Var([tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\overline{_}X1[/tex] +(1-[tex]\omega[/tex])[tex]\overline{_}X2[/tex]) is a minimum when [tex]\omega[/tex]= n1 / (n1 + n2).

My professor gave a hint to find the Var([tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\overline{_}X1[/tex] +(1-[tex]\omega[/tex])[tex]\overline{_}X2[/tex]) and then to minimize with respect to [tex]\omega[/tex] using first and second derivatives.

I understand to square out the coefficients due to independence but I'm not sure where to begin to find the variances of the means of independent random samples. I feel I should have an understanding to minimize with the Cramer-Rao Inequality. Maybe I'm trying to look too deep into what is being asked?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that [tex]\mbox{Var}(\overline{X_1}) = \frac{\sigma^2}{n_1}[/tex]? Hint: write [tex]\overline{X_1}[/tex] as a sum of independent and identically distributed RVs and use [tex]\mbox{Var}(\sum Y_i) = \sum \mbox{Var}(Y_1)[/tex] as well as pulling out a constant becomes multiplying by the square of the constant.

What is the Cramer-Rao Inequality?

The Cramer-Rao Inequality is a mathematical theorem that sets a lower bound on the variance of any unbiased estimator for a given parameter. It is used to determine the efficiency of an estimator, with a lower variance indicating a more precise estimate.

How is the Cramer-Rao Inequality used in statistics?

The Cramer-Rao Inequality is used in statistics to evaluate the performance of estimators for different parameters. It helps determine the minimum variance that any unbiased estimator can have, and allows for comparisons between different estimators.

What assumptions are necessary for the Cramer-Rao Inequality to hold?

The Cramer-Rao Inequality holds under the assumptions of regularity, which include differentiability of the probability density function, existence of the derivative of the log-likelihood function, and the parameter space being an open set.

Can the Cramer-Rao Inequality be used for any type of parameter?

The Cramer-Rao Inequality can be used for any type of parameter, including scalar, vector, and matrix parameters. However, it is most commonly used for scalar parameters.

How is the Cramer-Rao Inequality related to the Fisher Information?

The Cramer-Rao Inequality is directly related to the Fisher Information, as the Fisher Information is used to calculate the lower bound on the variance in the Cramer-Rao Inequality. The Fisher Information measures the amount of information that a random variable carries about an unknown parameter, and is a key component in the Cramer-Rao Inequality.