1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Crazy steam-hydraulic unit design

1. Jun 3, 2017 #1
    I can't find equations for wall thickness or required temperature to generate steam at 6000psi. The goal here is a pressure vessel 'cylinder' 30" diameter, 36" long. It will be used to pump 42000psi hydraulics using a piston pump directly driven to a smaller series of pistons to allow the pressure increase.

If anyone can give the required equations and/or information, that would be great! If anyone wants to help with the overall design, I'm open to any input, but I will definitely be ironing out the final design myself. I enjoy the adventure :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sounds a bit dangerous, no? What is your level of education and experience with high-pressure designs?

4. Jun 3, 2017 #3
    Specifically high-pressure designs, none. I dabble in a lot of basic stuff, primarily projects that get sold or just fail to take off. If this becomes a project I can pursue on my own, I plan to increase the wall thickness 50-100% beyond the recommended both to deal with imperfections in the material and weld and to increase heat capacity to help keep it running under high load. The initial tests of the vessel are to be performed in an isolated area with nobody present until the vessel has had time to cool off. Something akin to a log cabin will be built around the vessel for the test to reduce the distance potential debris can fly.

5. Jun 3, 2017 #4

berkeman

What is the application? Are there any currently-available off-the-shelf solutions for this application?

6. Jun 3, 2017 #5
    The application is a mobile automaton fueled by wood/coal. The original source of inspiration is a total pipedream (See: Warmachine, tabletop miniatures game). I feel some adaptation of this system could be useful to lumber mills and loggers from what I saw during my time in Virginia.

High-pressure systems are more efficient, on-site power generation is more efficient than bringing batteries or hauling fuel. Most power we have ever generated and even now generate is some take on steam power, with the exception of solar panels, wind turbines, and hydroelectric.

7. Jun 3, 2017 #6

berkeman

It does sound like you are trying to be careful, but for liability reasons we can't allow this thread to continue. Hopefully you can a knowledgeable local Mentor who can help you in person with your project. Please be safe.

Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook