Crazy steam-hydraulic unit design

In summary, the goal is to build a pressure vessel that can pump 42000psi hydraulics using a piston pump directly driven to a smaller series of pistons.
Prizzard
I can't find equations for wall thickness or required temperature to generate steam at 6000psi. The goal here is a pressure vessel 'cylinder' 30" diameter, 36" long. It will be used to pump 42000psi hydraulics using a piston pump directly driven to a smaller series of pistons to allow the pressure increase.

If anyone can give the required equations and/or information, that would be great! If anyone wants to help with the overall design, I'm open to any input, but I will definitely be ironing out the final design myself. I enjoy the adventure :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Prizzard said:
I can't find equations for wall thickness or required temperature to generate steam at 6000psi. The goal here is a pressure vessel 'cylinder' 30" diameter, 36" long. It will be used to pump 42000psi hydraulics using a piston pump directly driven to a smaller series of pistons to allow the pressure increase.

If anyone can give the required equations and/or information, that would be great! If anyone wants to help with the overall design, I'm open to any input, but I will definitely be ironing out the final design myself. I enjoy the adventure :D
Sounds a bit dangerous, no? What is your level of education and experience with high-pressure designs?

Specifically high-pressure designs, none. I dabble in a lot of basic stuff, primarily projects that get sold or just fail to take off. If this becomes a project I can pursue on my own, I plan to increase the wall thickness 50-100% beyond the recommended both to deal with imperfections in the material and weld and to increase heat capacity to help keep it running under high load. The initial tests of the vessel are to be performed in an isolated area with nobody present until the vessel has had time to cool off. Something akin to a log cabin will be built around the vessel for the test to reduce the distance potential debris can fly.

Prizzard said:
Specifically high-pressure designs, none. I dabble in a lot of basic stuff, primarily projects that get sold or just fail to take off. If this becomes a project I can pursue on my own, I plan to increase the wall thickness 50-100% beyond the recommended both to deal with imperfections in the material and weld and to increase heat capacity to help keep it running under high load. The initial tests of the vessel are to be performed in an isolated area with nobody present until the vessel has had time to cool off. Something akin to a log cabin will be built around the vessel for the test to reduce the distance potential debris can fly.
What is the application? Are there any currently-available off-the-shelf solutions for this application?

The application is a mobile automaton fueled by wood/coal. The original source of inspiration is a total pipedream (See: Warmachine, tabletop miniatures game). I feel some adaptation of this system could be useful to lumber mills and loggers from what I saw during my time in Virginia.

High-pressure systems are more efficient, on-site power generation is more efficient than bringing batteries or hauling fuel. Most power we have ever generated and even now generate is some take on steam power, with the exception of solar panels, wind turbines, and hydroelectric.

Prizzard said:
The application is a mobile automaton fueled by wood/coal. The original source of inspiration is a total pipedream (See: Warmachine, tabletop miniatures game). I feel some adaptation of this system could be useful to lumber mills and loggers from what I saw during my time in Virginia.

High-pressure systems are more efficient, on-site power generation is more efficient than bringing batteries or hauling fuel. Most power we have ever generated and even now generate is some take on steam power, with the exception of solar panels, wind turbines, and hydroelectric.
It does sound like you are trying to be careful, but for liability reasons we can't allow this thread to continue. Hopefully you can a knowledgeable local Mentor who can help you in person with your project. Please be safe.

Thread is closed.

Likes Nidum

1. What is a crazy steam-hydraulic unit design?

A crazy steam-hydraulic unit design is a machine or system that uses both steam and hydraulic power to perform a specific task. It combines the high pressure and temperature of steam with the force and precision of hydraulics to create a powerful and efficient system.

2. How does a crazy steam-hydraulic unit work?

A crazy steam-hydraulic unit works by using steam to generate pressure, which is then used to power a hydraulic pump. The hydraulic pump then converts the pressure into mechanical force, which can be used to operate various components or machines.

3. What are the advantages of using a crazy steam-hydraulic unit?

Some potential advantages of using a crazy steam-hydraulic unit include high power output, precise control of force and movement, and the ability to operate in extreme temperatures and conditions. It can also be more cost-effective and efficient than using separate steam and hydraulic systems.

4. What are some common applications of crazy steam-hydraulic unit design?

Crazy steam-hydraulic units can be used in a variety of industries and applications, such as heavy machinery, manufacturing, agriculture, and transportation. They are often used in situations where high power and precision are required, such as in construction or mining.

5. What are some important considerations when designing a crazy steam-hydraulic unit?

Designing a crazy steam-hydraulic unit requires careful consideration of factors such as steam and hydraulic pressure, temperature, flow rates, and compatibility of components. It is also important to ensure proper maintenance and safety protocols are in place to prevent accidents and ensure optimal performance of the unit.