1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a simple DC power supply.

1. Jun 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In one of my labs for a circuit analysis class we are told to design a simple DC power supply. The power supply will have three outputs, +4.5V, -4.5V, and an adjustable output from 0-11V. I have already done most of this and the question I have is could you design this so that multiple outputs could be used at the same time and not affect the others.

Here is the basis of our power supply:
    untitled.jpg

Where our outputs are connected to the load branch coming of the diodes.

The way I have mine now works fine as long as you only use one of the outputs. I have noticed most of the power supplies I have used have multiple outputs but only one can be used at a time. Is this really unavoidable or unpractical?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2

Zryn

Gold Member

I have never come across a power supply (commercially made) that could only use one of many outputs at once.

What sort of circuit analysis class are you doing this for, SMPS DC/DC converters perchance? A 'simple DC power supply' is probably relative to your current studies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook