Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating static charge at a distance.

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    Is there any way to create an isolated point charge without any contact with the matter which one wishes to charge? I recognize that this would mean stripping off electrons from the substance, so I suppose my question is: is there any way to strip off electrons without having to specifically contact the object which one wishes to charge?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2
    Define 'contact'. You can do it with a pulse of sufficiently energetic EM radiation, a strong electric field, etc. So, it can be done without matter touching matter. However, there has to be some sort of direct causal influence: in the examples I mentioned, field interacting with the matter.

4. May 18, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

res3210, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Yes, an object can be charged without direct contact by the method called "Induction". You can Google that or just have a look here:

“Charging by induction
    Induction charging is a method used to charge an object without actually touching the object to any other charged object.”
    See especially the section “Charging a Two-Sphere System Using a Negatively Charged Object” at: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/estatics/U8l2b.cfm

5. May 23, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the information, guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook