Credit card Magnetic strip and the plastic bag trick

In summary, when a credit card's magnetic strip is worn, it may not scan at a grocery check out. To solve this issue, clerks sometimes use a plastic bag over the card and run it through the scanner. This works because the plastic bag acts as a low pass filter, reducing noise and scratches on the strip. It is a common problem with older cards and newer generation scanners may work better. However, over time the card may become too worn to be effective.
Rolliet
When my credit card magnetic strip is worn it won't scan at the grocery check out. The clerk then uses a plastic bag over the card and runs it through the scanner. I'm baffled why this should work, but it does every time. Any explanations ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a fault of your card rather than their scanner?

Yes, a problem when a card gets old. I'd think it happens to everyone.

The separation by the bag must be, effectively, a low pass filter - reducing noise and 'sidebands', due to the scratches (modulation of the basic stripe frequencies). It can't be more than that. I don't know why the scanner couldn't do this for itself, in a more efficient and adaptive way. Maybe the newer generation scanners work better. It would need a 2D array of sensors to do best.

Likes 1 person
sophiecentaur said:
... I don't know why the scanner couldn't do this for itself, in a more efficient and adaptive way. ...

I think you would still come to the same situation, but with a card more scratched up, after a time.

Hopefully, the card would be out of date by that time. :wink:

1. How does the credit card magnetic strip work?

The credit card magnetic strip is made up of tiny magnetic particles that are arranged in a specific pattern. When the strip is swiped through a card reader, the magnetic particles are read by the reader and converted into binary code, which is then processed by the system to authorize the transaction.

2. What information is stored on the magnetic strip of a credit card?

The magnetic strip typically contains the cardholder's name, account number, expiration date, and a security code. This information is encrypted and can only be read by authorized card readers.

3. How does the plastic bag trick protect my credit card's magnetic strip?

The plastic bag trick involves placing a plastic bag over the magnetic strip of your credit card to prevent it from being demagnetized. This is because the plastic bag creates a barrier between the strip and any external magnetic fields that could potentially damage the strip.

4. Can the plastic bag trick damage my credit card?

No, the plastic bag trick is a safe and effective way to protect your credit card's magnetic strip. However, it is important to note that the plastic bag should not be placed over the chip on your credit card, as it can interfere with the chip's functionality.

5. How often should I use the plastic bag trick on my credit card?

It is recommended to use the plastic bag trick on your credit card whenever you are in a situation where there may be strong magnetic fields, such as near electronic devices or in certain types of wallets. It is also a good idea to replace the plastic bag every few months to ensure maximum protection.