Critical numbers of this derivative

In summary, the function y = √x - 4ln(x) has a derivative of y' = (√x - 8)/2x. To find critical numbers, we look for where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. In this case, x=64 is the only critical number, as x=0 is undefined for the original function. Therefore, x=0 can be excluded from the critical points. It should also be noted that the phrase "critical numbers of y'" is incorrect, as the critical numbers refer to y itself, not its derivative.
opticaltempest
I have the function [tex] \[y = \sqrt x - 4\ln (x)\][/tex]

I find the derivative to be [tex] \[y' = \frac{{\sqrt x - 8}}{{2x}}\] [/tex]

When finding the critical numbers of y' I look for where the derivative
is equal to zero or where the derivative is undefined. So where y' is
equal to zero is when x=64. y' is undefined when x=0, but when x=0
the original function is also undefined. Since x=0 makes the original
function undefined can I exclude it from my critical points? I am thinking
I am able to since x=0 isn't even in the domain of y.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. By the way, the phrase "critical numbers of y' " is not correct. What you have found are the critical numbers of y itself, not its derivative.

Thanks HallsofIvy :smile:

What is a critical number for a derivative?

A critical number for a derivative is a value for which the derivative of a function is equal to zero or does not exist. This means that the slope of the tangent line at that point is either horizontal or undefined.

How do you find critical numbers for a derivative?

To find critical numbers for a derivative, you can set the derivative of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. You can also find critical numbers by finding the points where the derivative is undefined, such as at vertical tangent lines or sharp corners.

Why are critical numbers important for derivatives?

Critical numbers are important for derivatives because they can help us identify important features of a function, such as local extrema and inflection points. They also help us determine where the slope of a function changes, which can be useful in applications like optimization and curve sketching.

Can a function have multiple critical numbers?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical numbers. This means that there are multiple points where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. It is important to consider all critical numbers when analyzing the behavior of a function.

How do you determine if a critical number is a local maximum, local minimum, or neither?

To determine the nature of a critical number, we can use the first or second derivative test. The first derivative test looks at the sign of the derivative on either side of the critical number, while the second derivative test looks at the concavity of the function at the critical number. If the first derivative changes from positive to negative, the critical number is a local maximum, and if it changes from negative to positive, the critical number is a local minimum. If the second derivative is positive, the critical number is a local minimum, and if it is negative, the critical number is a local maximum. If the first derivative does not change sign, the critical number is neither a local maximum nor a local minimum.