1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross Polarizers with a wave plate retardation

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Consider a wave plate with a retardation τ=(η_0-n_e)*w*L/c. Show that when it is placed between crossed polarizers with its optical axis at an angle of θ with respect to the polarizer axis, the transmitted intensity is given by:

I_out/I_in= (sin^2(2θ)(sin^2(τ/2))

In practice, one often sets the optical axis at θ=45° to obtain maximum contrast.

2. Relevant equations

E=P_θ*P_0*E_0

I=E times E*

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that without any retardation I/I_0=cos^2(θ). I'm really not sure how to approach this problem
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's start by rewriting your given equations:

ψ = (n_o - n_e)Lω/c

since ψ is a radian angle so τ is not a good symbol since it usually has dimensions of time.

Then Io/Ii = sin2(2θ)sin2(ψ/2)

So you have one sinusoidally time-varying electric vector field Eo that passes thru the plate and then thru the polarizer and analyzer, and a second field Ee that does the same but is phase-shifted by ψ radians w/r/t Eo and is perpendicular to it.

Then at the output of the analyzer, add the two fields vectorially, then square and time-average to get the intensity, & off you go.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much, that helps a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook