1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross product expressed in the cylindrical basis

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's not a homework question but a doubt I have.
    Say I want to write [itex]\vec A \times \vec B[/itex] in the basis of the cylindrical coordinates.
    I already know that the cross product is a determinant involving [itex]\hat i[/itex], [itex]\hat j[/itex] and [itex]\hat k[/itex].
    And that it's worth in my case [itex](A_yB_z-B_yA_z) \hat i +(A_xB_z-B_xA_z)\hat j+(A_xB_y-B_xA_y)\hat k[/itex].
    In order to reach what I'm looking for, can I "translate" [itex]A_x[/itex], [itex]B_y[/itex], etc. into cylindrical coordinates and then replace [itex]\hat i[/itex], [itex]\hat j[/itex] and [itex]\hat z[/itex] by what they are worth when translated in cylindrical coordinates and in function of the cylindrical unit vectors [itex]\hat r[/itex], [itex]\hat \theta[/itex] and [itex]\hat z[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think this is probably ok for the cross product of 2 static vectors as the cylindrical basis is orthonormal 9try it and check)

however as soon as you look at vectors changing with time or derivatives, you will have a problem as the basis vector change with position, (eg. div, curl, etc.). The reason the cartesian coords are so useful is the basis does not change with position

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook