Cross product expressed in the cylindrical basis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write the cross product in cylindrical coordinates. The cross product involves the unit vectors \hat i, \hat j, and \hat k and can be translated into cylindrical coordinates using the unit vectors \hat r, \hat \theta, and \hat z. However, this method may not work for vectors changing with time or derivatives, as the basis vectors also change with position. The cartesian coordinates are more useful in these cases because the basis does not change with position.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

It's not a homework question but a doubt I have.
Say I want to write [itex]\vec A \times \vec B[/itex] in the basis of the cylindrical coordinates.
I already know that the cross product is a determinant involving [itex]\hat i[/itex], [itex]\hat j[/itex] and [itex]\hat k[/itex].
And that it's worth in my case [itex](A_yB_z-B_yA_z) \hat i +(A_xB_z-B_xA_z)\hat j+(A_xB_y-B_xA_y)\hat k[/itex].
In order to reach what I'm looking for, can I "translate" [itex]A_x[/itex], [itex]B_y[/itex], etc. into cylindrical coordinates and then replace [itex]\hat i[/itex], [itex]\hat j[/itex] and [itex]\hat z[/itex] by what they are worth when translated in cylindrical coordinates and in function of the cylindrical unit vectors [itex]\hat r[/itex], [itex]\hat \theta[/itex] and [itex]\hat z[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think this is probably ok for the cross product of 2 static vectors as the cylindrical basis is orthonormal 9try it and check)

however as soon as you look at vectors changing with time or derivatives, you will have a problem as the basis vector change with position, (eg. div, curl, etc.). The reason the cartesian coords are so useful is the basis does not change with position

1. What is the cross product in the cylindrical basis?

The cross product in the cylindrical basis is a mathematical operation that involves two vectors and results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is a way of multiplying vectors that takes into account their direction and magnitude.

2. How is the cross product expressed in the cylindrical basis?

The cross product in the cylindrical basis is expressed using the right-hand rule. This means that the resulting vector will point in the direction that your right hand would point if you curled your fingers in the direction of the first vector and then rotated your hand towards the second vector.

3. What are the components of the cross product in the cylindrical basis?

The components of the cross product in the cylindrical basis are determined by the magnitude and direction of the two original vectors. They can be calculated using the formula:A x B = (ArBz - AzBr)i + (AzBp - ApBz)j + (ApBr - ArBp)kwhere A and B are the two original vectors, r is the radial component, z is the vertical component, and p is the angular component.

4. What is the importance of the cross product in the cylindrical basis?

The cross product in the cylindrical basis is important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is used to calculate torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields, among other things.

5. How is the cross product in the cylindrical basis different from the cross product in other coordinate systems?

The cross product in the cylindrical basis is different from the cross product in other coordinate systems because it takes into account the cylindrical nature of the coordinate system. This means that the resulting vector will have different components and direction compared to the cross product in Cartesian or spherical coordinate systems.