Troubleshooting Crystal Radio: Tips for Building and Improving Reception

• Electrical
  • Thread starter Mark Palmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystal Radio
In summary: Can you describe your antenna and ground connection, please?Is there any capacitors in your circuit? A tuning capacitor and a smoothing capacitor after the diode detector, perhaps? Ideally, can you provide a circuit diagram of your crystal radio or an online pointer to the design you are using?Is your high impedance earpiece a piezo-electric (crystal) earpiece?Thank you for your help. I have attached a photo of the components.In summary, Mark is trying to build a crystal radio but it doesn't work. He doesn't have any experience with this type of project, so he is asking for help from the community. His antenna and ground connection are
PVC pipe is fine, but cardboard tubes are often used because they are cheap or free. Sanding the wire insulation is OK, but make sure that adjacent turns cannot short to each other. Because you are not using a capacitor with the coil to form a tuned circuit, you are relying on unknown, stray, capacitance so the signals you pick up could possibly be in the lower part of the HF bands and be subject to fading, or the stray capacitance is changing as you move your arms etc. and thus tuning away from the station. The usual recommended circuit will tune to the AM band and your local stations should be strong and steady as well as being recognisable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark Palmer said:
I have another question on the diode. In reading up on diode technology, I see it is directional. Does this apply to the crystal radio? The right side of the coil is connected directly to the diode.

View attachment 238993

I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, some one else may comment...
Normally it would go in the other direction as in my post on page 1 of this thread. That is the black bar on the diode should be towards the earpiece

darth boozer said:
The usual recommended circuit will tune to the AM band and your local stations should be strong and steady as well as being recognisable.

yes agreed, as per the circuit and comments I posted n page 1 of the thread :smile:

Dave

davenn said:
I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, some one else may comment...
Nope, no difference at all.

Likes davenn
Thanks again, all.

Another question related to tuning.

The slider or wiper bar is apparently a crude tuning method. I think I will modify this build to install a tuning capacitor. I have this one rated at 365 pF, intended for crystal radio use. It has two solder terminals on each side.The wiring diagram posted early in the thread shows the capacitor connected to both sides of the coil. How exactly should I connect to the terminals?

2573cn2.jpg

Attachments

• 2573cn2.jpg
    2573cn2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
The grounded side of the coil should connect to the metal body of the capacitor and the antenna side to the side terminals which connect to the fixed plates (the bottom ones in your picture). At the frequencies involved, a few inches of wire to make the connections will be fine. As a temporary measure for testing, the connections could be made with alligator clips.