Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cubic lattice, masses and springs, fire little mass at it.

1. Sep 6, 2014 #1
    Suppose I have a cubic lattice of N^3 masses, M, each connected to six nearest neighbors with springs of constant k free to move but at rest. Now fire a single mass, m, with velocity v at surface of the lattice such that no rotation can be imparted to the cubic lattice. Let the fired mass bounce off a single lattice mass so that both masses move in the opposite direction.

Can we fire a mass at a lattice at rest and only produce translation of lattice with no or little vibration of the lattice?

I wanted to understand if there was a classical system similar to the crystal in the Mössbauer effect where we can have gamma emission with no crystal phonons produced.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2014 #2
    I think what I'm asking can be simplified with the following classical setup. Let there be a one dimensional lattice of N masses M, connected by springs with the whole system constrained to move on a line. Suppose we give the first mass of this system a slow gentle shove. I think the math would show that the lattice would move as a whole with very little vibrational energy being produced. But now suppose we give the first mass of the lattice a hard fast shove then it seems the math would also show that now the lattice would gain both translational and vibrational energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook