1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Masses and springs in R^3XR^2 and K.G. Eq. on a lattice?

1. Jan 3, 2015 #1
    Let us have a 5 dimensional lattice in R^5 = R^3XR^2, where at each lattice point we have a point mass and all mass points are linked with springs in all 5 dimensions (edit, to nearest neighbors). Require that motion of the mass points is restricted to a two dimensional subspace, R^2, of R^5. Further let the springs in R^2 be much stiffer then the remaining springs. Make further assumptions as required so the problem comes out right.

Edit, something does not smell right, should of thought more, think I am close but I think the above is wrong, damn.

Edit, we want only one mass point in the subspace R^2?

4th edit, we want a 3 dimensional mass spring lattice system with movement of the masses only in some 2 dimensional tangent space at each mass point and that movement is that of 2 dimensional harmonic osscilator coupled with springs to nearest neighbors in 3d? Put a 2d H.O. at each lattice point in 3d and couple the movement to nearest neighbors in 3d with springs? 5th edit, all done in a 5d space?

Is the lagrangian of this system similar to the lagrangian for the Klein Gordon equation on a lattice?

Is there a electrical circuit equavalent using capacitors and inductors of the above system?

If true can one expand on the ideas above and come up with a mass/spring system on some space whose lagrangian is the same as the lagrangian that gives the Dirac eq. on a lattice?

Let us ignor relativity (set c to infinity?).

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2015 #2
    A sketch of the system above may be less confusing then my ramblings above.

K%2BG%2Beq%2B002.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook