1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cumulative distribution function

1. Oct 20, 2011 #1
    A dart is thrown towards a quadrilateral defined by {(x,y): 0 < x < b, 0 < x < b}. Assume the dart is equally likely to land anywhere within this shape. Let Z be denoted by the (x,y) coordinate with the least value. Find the region in the square corresponding to {Z < z}

so i know the sample space contains any x or y within 0 to b in both directions. and i know that Z = whichever coordinate is the smallest, with a minimum at 0 and a maximum at b. i don't understand how to find where {Z < z} inside the square... wouldn't all the values be within Z? this makes no sense to me

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I give you a value of z in (0,b) it is quite possible for both X and Y to both take values > z, so Z (the smaller of X and Y) would be > z in that case. By the way, you should distinguish between X (the random variable) and x (possible numerical value for X), and between Y and y.

RGV

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    i'm still confused on how this relates to the area of the square

5. Oct 24, 2011 #4
    is z the entire area of the square since it can take on any value from 0 to b in both the x and y directions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook