Curious for some insight: inverse of a random matrix is really ordered

In summary, the discussion revolved around the randomness of the inverse of a random matrix and how it is a deterministic process. The example given shows that the inverse matrix has some interesting features, such as correlations between entries in the same row or column. However, these correlations are caused by the fact that the calculation of each entry involves a vast majority of the same numbers as the original matrix. There is a loss of structure during the inversion process, rather than the creation of structure.
mikeph
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/products/matlab/demos.html?file=/products/demos/shipping/matlab/inverter.html

[PLAIN]http://www.mathworks.co.uk/products/demos/shipping/matlab/inverter_01_thumbnail.png
^^^ Random matrix, 100x100

[PLAIN]http://www.mathworks.co.uk/products/demos/shipping/matlab/inverter_02_thumbnail.png

^^^ Inverse of this random matrix.

The given reason is; "each element in this matrix ("b") depends on every one of the ten thousand elements in the previous matrix ("a")." but that still makes it random... right?

So... if each element is dependant on 10,000 other elements, it must be pretty random as well. My knowledge on linear algebra is pretty weak, but I'm pretty sure this inverse matrix is unique, so isn't there some sort of loss of information entropy going on here if we go from a very random looking picture to a very un-random looking picture through a one-to-one function?

What's going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MikeyW said:
[
So... if each element is dependant on 10,000 other elements, it must be pretty random as well. My knowledge on linear algebra is pretty weak, but I'm pretty sure this inverse matrix is unique, so isn't there some sort of loss of information entropy going on here if we go from a very random looking picture to a very un-random looking picture through a one-to-one function?

What's going on?

The discussion of how the entries are not random is simply saying that the construction of the inverse from the original matrix is a deterministic process (which is a good thing)

This isn't really a linear algebra question. The one-to-one function doesn't have to preserve "randomness" (whatever that really means): The probability of getting A and A-1 by entering random entries into a matrix don't have to be the same. And all those colors mean is that

Let's consider a slightly different tack: We pick a number between 0 and 100 at random uniformly. When we look at what kind of numbers we get, they'll be evenly spread between 0 and 100. Then consider looking at their inverses: if the random number is x, consider 1/x. Then 99% of the 1/x's will be between 0 and 1, and only 1% will be between 1 and infinity.

So if we had some colored dots in a row where the color indicated what value we have for each random number, the colored dots for the 1/x's will be far more uniform than for the x's. This isn't a statement about randomness, just about how the range that the numbers fall between is smaller

Ok, so some off the apparent "unrandomless" appears that way because the inverse matrix is coloured in according to the same rules as the other one (using the same colourmap) though its range is different.But there is more "unrandomness" than just the element values- there are clear gridlines. Even if the range of the numbers is changed to compensate for the effect you describe, we still see some order emerging from the plot of the matrix.Thanks for the reply, truth is I maybe don't know what I'm talking about but I do find it fascinating nevertheless.

Office_Shredder said:
This isn't really a linear algebra question.
Assuming this example is representative, it says that the inverse of a matrix with IID entries coming from the uniform distribution on [0,1] has some interesting features, e.g. that there seems to be some strong correlations between entries in the same row, or the same column.

Trying to explain the distribution of the entries in the inverse matrix, I think, would count as linear algebra.

When I said "this isn't really a linear algebra question" I was referring to the idea of how applying a function can change the seemingly randomness of something.

Look at the formula for the inverse of a matrix. Each Cij is (-1)i+j times the determinant of the matrix you have left if you remove row i and column j from A. The correlations must be caused by the fact that a vast majority of the numbers that go into the calculations of Cij and Cik are the same.

If you look at the reverse direction, it becomes more or less trivial i.e. inverse of a "structured" matrix has no apparent "structure". Quotations marks are meant for the reserved use of the word not the literal meaning.

Thus, it is fair to say that structure is lost during inversion not created.

1. What is the inverse of a random matrix?

The inverse of a random matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. This means that the inverse undoes the effect of the original matrix.

2. Why is the inverse of a random matrix important?

The inverse of a random matrix is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations more easily. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

3. How is the inverse of a random matrix calculated?

The inverse of a random matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and the adjugate matrix method. The method used depends on the size and properties of the matrix.

4. Can every random matrix be inverted?

No, not every random matrix can be inverted. A matrix must be square (with the same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

5. What is the relationship between the order of a random matrix and its inverse?

The order of a random matrix refers to its size, or the number of rows and columns it has. The inverse of a random matrix will have the same order as the original matrix, meaning it will also have the same number of rows and columns. This is important because the two matrices must be compatible in order to be multiplied together.