1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curious if this function is called anything.

  1. Dec 24, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone, I was just playing around with factorial expansion and after grouping some terms I noticed a pattern for which I made a function. I am happy to provide more details as needed, but for now I have attached an image of the function and am curious, as per the title, whether this is known and if so if it has a name and/or interesting properties. I forgot to put this on the image but I was only considering positive naturals for a and n when defining the function.


    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2013 #2
    Sorry, I should've posted this after working out the kinks. The a-n-1, a-n-2 part should be a-(n-1), a-(n-2), ... and k_n=n-1 should be k_n=n.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. Dec 24, 2013 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

  5. Dec 30, 2013 #4
    Actually, I figured out that these are (unsigned) Stirling numbers of the first kind (save where n=0), with 'a' being the rows of its pyramid, and 'n' being the column in each row. Ironic that I called the function S. I attached a simpler (and more accurate) version for anyone interested.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook