Curious if this function is called anything.

In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of a pattern in factorial expansion, resulting in the creation of a new function. The function was found to be related to Stirling numbers of the first kind and a simplified version was attached for reference.
hddd123456789
Hey everyone, I was just playing around with factorial expansion and after grouping some terms I noticed a pattern for which I made a function. I am happy to provide more details as needed, but for now I have attached an image of the function and am curious, as per the title, whether this is known and if so if it has a name and/or interesting properties. I forgot to put this on the image but I was only considering positive naturals for a and n when defining the function.

Thanks!

Attachments

• sum-function.jpg
    sum-function.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 508
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I should've posted this after working out the kinks. The a-n-1, a-n-2 part should be a-(n-1), a-(n-2), ... and k_n=n-1 should be k_n=n.

Last edited:
Actually, I figured out that these are (unsigned) Stirling numbers of the first kind (save where n=0), with 'a' being the rows of its pyramid, and 'n' being the column in each row. Ironic that I called the function S. I attached a simpler (and more accurate) version for anyone interested.

Attachments

• sum-function.jpg
    sum-function.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

Hello there! It's great to see you exploring factorial expansion and noticing patterns in your calculations. It sounds like you have found a function that may have some interesting properties. Without seeing the image or more details, it's difficult to say whether this function has a specific name or if it is a known function. However, I would suggest doing some research to see if any existing functions or theorems relate to your discovery. If not, you could consider naming the function yourself and possibly even publishing your findings if they are significant. Keep exploring and don't be afraid to reach out to other mathematicians for their input and insights. Happy calculating!

1. What is the purpose of the function?

The purpose of a function is to perform a specific task or calculation based on the input provided.

2. How do I know if a function has been called?

If a function has been called, it means that the code inside the function has been executed.

3. What is the syntax for calling a function?

The syntax for calling a function is the function name followed by parentheses, with any necessary parameters or arguments inside the parentheses.

4. Can a function be called multiple times?

Yes, a function can be called multiple times in a program, allowing for reusability and efficiency in code.

5. What happens if a function is not called?

If a function is not called, the code inside the function will not be executed and the desired task or calculation will not be performed.