Naming convention for "Functional Variance"?

• I
  • Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
naming convention for "functional variance"
For a continuous function f:[a,b]-->R there is a well-known notion of "functional mean"
$$
\mu[f] = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^bf(x)\,dx.
$$
I am wondering if there is a name for the corresponding notion of "functional variance", i.e. the quantity
$$
\frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b(f(x)-\mu[f])^2\,dx.
$$
?? Thanks. Also, does this quantity play a role somewhere in the literature? I'm writing a paper that involves this thing but google is very useless at answering my question since it just spits out pages upon pages about the variance of a continuous random variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
For a continuous function f:[a,b]-->R there is a well-known notion of "functional mean"
Is there? I have never heard of the term "functional mean" and it is not used in the Wikipedia page you linked.

However we define the mean of a (suitable) function ## f ## in the interval ## [a, b] ## as
$$
\mu[f] = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^bf(x)\,dx.
$$
And we can similarly define the variance of a (suitable) function ## f ## in the interval ## [a, b] ## as
$$
\frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b(f(x)-\mu[f])^2\,dx.
$$

pbuk said:
Is there? I have never heard of the term "functional mean" and it is not used in the Wikipedia page you linked.
I'm not saying the term "functional mean" is well known, but that the concept of the mean of a function is well known. And I am curious if the corresponding concept of "functional variance" (aka variance of a function) appears somewhere in the literature.

I was curious and calculated @pbuk's formulas for ##f(x)=x^2## on ##[0,1]## and ##[-1.1]##. This resulted in ##\mu[f]=1/3\, , \,\sigma [x^2]=4/45\approx 9\%## in the first case and ##\mu[f]=0\, , \,\sigma [x^2]=0## in the second.

I can see why the mean is meaningful and a valuable quantity in proofs for approximations, but what should that ##9\%## be good for?

fresh_42 said:
I was curious and calculated @pbuk's formulas for ##f(x)=x^2## on ##[0,1]## and ##[-1.1]##. This resulted in ##\mu[f]=1/3\, , \,\sigma [x^2]=4/45\approx 9\%## in the first case and ##\mu[f]=0\, , \,\sigma [x^2]=0## in the second.
I think you should check your results for ##[-1,1]##.
fresh_42 said:
I can see why the mean is meaningful and a valuable quantity in proofs for approximations, but what should that ##9\%## be good for?
Yes, I also wonder that. @quasar987?

fresh_42 said:

Are you saying the area under the curve of the positive function $f(x)=x^2$ is 0?

I assign to the variance of a function $f$ the same meaning that Var[X] hold for a random variable X; it is a measure of dispersion: small variance means f tends to sheepishly sticks close to its mean µ[f] whereas large variance means f likes to venture away from its mean.

pbuk said:
I think you should check your results for ##[-1,1]##.
I hate odd numbers of sign errors. Thanks.

What is a naming convention for "Functional Variance"?

A naming convention for "Functional Variance" is a set of rules and guidelines used to create consistent and meaningful names for different types of functional variances within a system or software application.

Why is it important to have a naming convention for "Functional Variance"?

Having a naming convention for "Functional Variance" helps improve clarity, consistency, and understanding among developers and stakeholders. It also makes it easier to identify and manage different types of functional variances within a system.

What are some common elements of a naming convention for "Functional Variance"?

Common elements of a naming convention for "Functional Variance" may include prefixes, suffixes, abbreviations, and specific keywords that provide information about the type, purpose, or scope of the functional variance.

How can a naming convention for "Functional Variance" be implemented effectively?

To implement a naming convention for "Functional Variance" effectively, it is important to document the rules and guidelines, provide training to team members, enforce compliance, and regularly review and update the convention as needed.

Are there any best practices to consider when creating a naming convention for "Functional Variance"?

Some best practices to consider when creating a naming convention for "Functional Variance include keeping names concise and descriptive, using camelCase or underscores for readability, avoiding special characters or spaces, and ensuring that names are easily understood by all team members.