Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curl and divergence of the conjugate of an holomorphic function

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I noted that if [itex]f : C \to C[\itex] is holomorphic in a subset [itex]D \in C[\itex], then [itex]\nabla \by \hat{f} = 0, \nabla \dot \hat{f} = 0[\itex]. Moreover, those two expressions are equivalent to the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

I'm rewriting this in plaintext, in case latex doesn't render properly. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly.

If f : C -> C is holomorphic in a subset D in C, then div conj(f) = 0, and rot conj(f) = 0, where conj(f) is the complex conjugate of f. These expressions should be though of formally, admitting that f(x+iy) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) "=" (u(x, y), v(x, y)). Note that this is exactly the same as saying that the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied.

So does this show up somewhere? Is it an important consequence? Does it have any physical interpretation?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted